• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot Pouch Construction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSK

Smollett
Reaction score
I've got a small hand stitched leather bag and intend to attach a wooden spout for dispensing round balls. Question: How does one wrap the spout with string/cord in a neat manner? The examples I've seen don't show any visible knots and the ends of the string are hidden. I'd like to do the same.

Thanks Smollett

You are going to wrap cord around the spout perpendicular to the spout. Start by laying a short end of your wrapping string parallel to the center line of the spout, enough so that 4-5 wraps will cover it. Hold it in place and wrap over it, keeping everything snug. Keep wrapping until you are within 3-4 wraps of the end, stop and hold everything snug. Fold a short length of cord double and lay it over the wraps, again parallel to the center line, with the fold out front, toward the end of the spout. Continue wrapping, over the folded cord, and you will have a loop out front, trapped under the wraps. When you reach the end of the wraps, stick the end of your wrapping thread through that loop, snug everything up, cut the loose end about 4-6 wraps long. Now, pull the loose end under the wraps with the loop and bob's your uncle. Both starting and ending ends are buried.

Use well waxed string/cord, it will be much easier to pull through, and it will last a lot longer. I use beeswax, and will melt and drip a little on the new wraps and rub it in.

Spence

Spence: Great description. I think I'm with you until you get to the part about cutting the end 4 to 6 wraps long. What happens with that length at the end?

Thank you!

Smollett

At the end, you lay the folded cord down and wrap over it several times, making a loop. After you've put the end of the wrapping thread through that loop, you pull the whole thing back under the wrappings. The folded cord comes out, dragging the wrapping thread under the last few wraps as it goes, leaving the end of the wrapping cord hanging free. You can just cut it off flush and it will be fine. I like to make it a bit more invisible by cutting it short enough so the end doesn't poke out from under the wrapping.

If you are still having trouble understanding my murky instructions tomorrow, maybe I can take some pictures to make it easier see what I'm describing.

Spence

That sounds really interesting on how you can hide the wrap knots. I for one would appreciate photos. I think we all could stand to benefit from it. :thumbsup:

What I would really like to know is, just who is Bob? I don't have any in my family... :idunno: :rotf:

I think I've got it, but if you have the time to post photos, I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks again.

Smollett

The wrapping would be done in exactly the same manner as when one is wrapping guides on a fishing rod. Find a book at your local library on rod building. It is a simple and very neat technique once you see it done. :thumbsup:

OK. some photos. I used larger, unwaxed string so it would show better.

Lay the end of your wrapping thread down along the center line of the spout, pointing in the direction you are going to wrap.

Wrap over it a few times to trap it.

Cut the end of the thread off short and wrap over it.

Keep wrapping until you are within 4-6 wraps from the end. Fold a short piece of string and lay it on top of the wraps, along the centerline.

Wrap over it a few times to trap it, forming a loop.

Put the end of the wrapping string through the loop.

Pull on the loop and drag the wrapping thread under the wraps.

Cut the thread off close and you are finished, both ends buried, no knots.

One for real.

Spence

Spence,
Thanks for the fantastic photos and instruction, even I can grasp it! Can I ask what you used for the neck? Again, thanks for taking the time to share!

airborne1 said:
Can I ask what you used for the neck?
That's a piece of bamboo. The stuff is a natural for that job because if you cut it off through the node it leaves an elevated rim which makes it impossible for the spout to slip out from under the wraps or for the leather of the bag to back out. You can see that if you look closely. Handy stuff for many other jobs. I had it growing in my yard for many years, so various sizes were easily available.

Spence

Spence, many thanks! That would make a great sticky, actually. Terrific posting.

Smollett

Spence, what type of string do you use? Yours looks like what one sees on originals.

Smollett

Depends on the job. I use natural color, unwaxed linen/flax string for a lot of jobs, and also something sold as flax string, dark brown, which comes already waxed.

Spence

OMG...!!!!
It really isn't rocket science. :bow:
Thank You for the excellent tutorial. For some reason I was missing the fact that the loop used to pull the end back through is a SEPARATE piece of thread. :doh: :redface:
Your pictures and detailed instruction make it look so Do-able, I might even give it a go.

Don Steele said:
I was missing the fact that the loop used to pull the end back through is a SEPARATE piece of thread.
One can also accomplish the same thing with a single piece of string. The first tail is made into the loop, the string wrapped around/over, the end put through the loop, pulled underneath and the excess trimmed. It is much like whipping the end of a rope. The advantage I see is the ends are "locked" together and may be less likely to work loose.

Back