• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A unique Shot Pouch I Refurbished for a Family Heirloom, American Percussion 12 Gauge Double Barrel Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambob

32 Cal
Reaction score
I previously authored a post for the actual, Family Heirloom, ML 12 gauge shotgun a while ago and just touched on this unique and well designed, over the shoulder, shot pouch. I was torn whether to post this topic in The Craftsman section, but decided to ultimately go with the Shooting Accessories section, since I just refurbished it. I originally received the pieces of the pouch in a small, paper bag with the shotgun. The metal pieces were basically all there except for one scoop that I fabricated from brass sheeting. However, all of the leather was dry rotted and unusable, except as patterns to reproduce the pieces. I am a pretty accomplished leather worker and was able to replace all of the leather, integrate the metal pieces in and assemble a really neatly designed, vintage, shotgun accessory. The bag hangs over the shoulder with the two spouts pointing down. Each spout has a small, spring loaded, door inside so when you remove the brass scoop, no other shot will drop on the ground. Inserting the scoop again opens the door, dispenses shot into scoop and when scoop is removed, door springs shut. There are two separate sections, in the bag, for different sized shot I presume. The entire scoop assembly, from the desired section, unscrews from its brass collet that is sewn and screwed into the leather. This removal gives you a nice, big. opening to refill the shot into either of the sections. Each of the spout assemblies have Pato Dantes 1886 stamped in the metal and the original spout has PAT MARCH 28th 1871 also stamped into the metal. I really love how the pouch is positioned over the right shoulder and the spouts pointing down on the left side which makes for very easy shot dispensing. The original designers of the pouch obviously thoroughly understood the “gravity” of the dispensing situation

FYI. The brass screws and the brass, leather, rivets are modern manufacture, but appropriate parts for the period. Also, since I am really cheap, I do not own a sewing machine for leather, so all stitching is done by hand using a homemade, thonging chisel to punch the holes and to space the stitches.

As always, any comments, advice, suggestions, etc. are welcome.

Regards,

Bob

Attachments

• pouch Front.JPG
    pouch Front.JPG
    445.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Pouch Back.JPG
    Pouch Back.JPG
    723.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Pouch with shotgun and horn.JPG
    Pouch with shotgun and horn.JPG
    847.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Pouch Closeup.JPG
    Pouch Closeup.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Pouch closeup spouts removed.JPG
    Pouch closeup spouts removed.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Pouch Being Worn.JPG
    Pouch Being Worn.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I like it a lot. I have a single spout one somewhere with my stuff. The leather is bad. You’re inspiring me to bring it back to life.

I am glad I have inspired some wannabe, leather workers. If it helps, pre-dyed black leather and brass rivets from Tandy Leather and really strong, waxed, black, linen thread from Hobby Lobby. BTW. Here is a better photo of the front of the pouch. The original photos were rushed and under lit.

Bob

Attachments

• Pouch Best Front.JPG
    Pouch Best Front.JPG
    969.4 KB · Views: 0
FYI. It looks like I made an error on the metal stamping on the spout assembly. It actually is stamped Pato Jantes 1886.

Bob

I think these scoop chargers so made to hang down are the only way to go . The Italian ones sold with just one long bag is useless since they swing about . Good tops though ,And tend to lay sideways .Whilst a short Y shape bag I think is the best plan . Similar if not as nice as the one shown .
The Famous Lt Col Peter Hawker in his classic 'Instructions to young Sportsmen' with numerous 19 c editions had the same opinion.
I started shooting with round hard leather scoop charger common sort cost me 6 pence still have it 60 odd years on it and a soft leather 'Pudding'bag with bigger shot for Foxes also with the scoop charger . The pear shape ones I used sometimes if full they are heavy and its rare you will need a full bag , Or was true in my case. ' Felt Wad' is a pro & goes through shot no doubt . But they tend to swing about & ding the gun or snag if you are stalking up on some wary creature . When I hear a Wood pigeon on some UK programme It gets to me brings back the pleasures of my youth . To such as I it was & remains the' finest Game bird in England 'And so thought the head keeper of the Duke of Westminster with who I had dealings cordial ones I wasn't after his Graces birds he said he might tee up a day on 'Woodies' but I don't live in UK so it remains an open invite' Ime now unlikley to take up . Sure Pheasants are the touted birds but there mere' chucks' no where near the challenge of the willy Woody . However I've digress .
Regards Rudyard

Back