• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot my GPR yesterday!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back in the spring I purchased my first flintlock from a gun dealer who purchased it around 2001 for his private collection. Its a left handed Lyman GPR flint in 54 caliber and had never been fired until yesterday. Got it for $460.00 out the door in the box. Been reading here all about the care and feeding of flintlocks. I took the rifle to deer camp to shoot for the first time. Think it went rather well for a beginner. Had a few flash in the pan. At first ignition time seemed a bit slow. With the flash in pans I would pick the vent and recharge the pan and try again. Sometimes had to do that twice before I got the main charge to ignite. May need to enlarge the vent a size or two. Things seemed to improve with last couple shots. Quick ignition and I actually started hitting the target! Was a fun and learning time that's for sure. Got the rifle home and cleaned. Being new to flinters but not black powder percussion firearms I was surprised how much fouling gets on the flint. Now I know why that little brush is on the chain with the pick! Already looking forward to shooting her again. Hope to take a deer with it next deer season end of this year!

Happy to hear, that you are enjoying your GPR.
If you enlarge your flash hole to 5/64", you will have much more positive ignition.
Also if you polish your flash pan to a mirror like finish, you will also decrease your ignition time.
Always wipe your frizzen and flint after each shot. ( more sparks )
All the best! & Happy New Year!
Fred

Back