• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting patches or strips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Suri

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering where all you traditionals carry there shooting patches?
I've tried a small tin as well as a leather bag in my shooting bag. Sometimes if I use a greased strip I will just threw it in the bag but never really satisfied with any of the above.
Any thoughts ??

Patch box.

In the absence of a box a round brass container in the bag.

X2 - patchbox, with the patches (pre-lubed/pre-cut) inside of one of those snack sized ziplock bags.

(held a seance with Davy Crockett - he confirmed the ziplocks were used back when as well :rotf: )

I've never used pre-cut patches.

If I'm just wandering and plinking, I use a strip tied to my bag strap, just wet it occasionally to keep it damp, cut at the muzzle.

If hunting, I keep a strip of pre-greased patching rolled up and tucked into a small internal pocket in my bag, cut at the muzzle. I never let it get into the bottom of the bag, too much grit collects there.

I sometimes use an un-lubed strip tied to my strap, grease it each time I load, like the old boys.

Spence

I use old empty amber pill bottles to carry a rolled lubed strip till I need it. DANNY

Just curious here.

I have used pre-cut patches and strip patch material. Over time, I have just stocked pre-cuts. For hunting, I use the double ended tubes, with a patched ball, and powder, and carry four in my hunting jacket pocket. I keep extra patches in a #11 Cap tin, pre-greased for use at the range.

Is the strip patching just more "traditional", or is there an advantage I've overlooked?

TMan51 said:
Is the strip patching just more "traditional", or is there an advantage I've overlooked?

I used the tubes for quite a while, then started experimenting. I could load just as fast without. It started while I was hunting snowshoe hare, which means a whole lot of shooting in a good year. Atsa lotta tubes to be lugging around, so I was reloading them in the field. Between reloading the tubes and using them while shooting, the middlemen were winning the game.

Then it became a question of what worked best for me when not using the tubes. Things sure got simpler, meaning I carried less and dropped less in the bushes and snow while loading.

I'm not a re-enactor and I'm not worried about fashion. But I'm sure practical, while also enjoying making stuff myself and using stuff I've made. Got so easy loading without the tubes, they've been rattling in a drawer ever since.

Ah, thanks for that thought.

It's a rare day I get to shoot at a deer more than once, but if I start chasing squirrels, (retiring in four more days and have the time) the strip could be the way to go.

TMan51 said:
There is documentation for both strip and precut patches, so it's dealer's choice for those of us interested in the traditional. Advantage is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, depends how each fits into your shooting habits.

Spence

Strips could be easier and/or faster (my chew can has a tiny roll). With cut at the muzzle another constant is produced...the patch is always dead center...no trying to center the ball on the patch while keeping yer eye on your fleeing game or walking wounded. When I have shot an elk, deer whatever, they sometimes run off and I want to see not only where they where at the shot but also be able to know where they where the last time I saw them (for tracking ya know).

If I am shooting pre-cut patches, I also pre-lube for added convenience and carry them in an Altoids can or an empty musket cap can. When I am shooting my .32 or .36, I carry them in an empty #11 cap can. If you use spit, as I often do, just remove a dry patch and put it in your mouth as you get ready to load. It will be nice and damp when you are ready for it.

But, a friend of mine in Indiana showed me a way to conveniently carry a strip of patching to be cut at the muzzle, I simply drape it over the end of my ramrod. It is both out of the way yet handy when I am ready to cut a patch. This only works if your ramrod fits tightly up against the underside of the barrel to hold the strip in place. It may not work on all rifles but when it does, it is a dandy idea. You can pre-lube your strip or if you use spit, when you are ready to load, you simply take your strip and put the end in your mouth as you get ready to load. When you are ready for your patch, it will be damp with spit and ready to load.

TMan51 said:
...retiring in four more days and have the time....

Now yer talking! Congratulations! Nothing like a bunch of time in the field away from other folks to help you decide what works best for you and why. :thumbsup:

I have a deep round tin (1 1/2') that I think held .22 cb caps a long time ago. I cut a slit in the side so the end of the rolled strip patching protrudes. I place the strip on the bore,, Place the ball then cut the strip. The tin holds about 2' of rolled lubed .015 patching. No mess, and no grit from the shooting pouch.

Fyrstyk

I have old cap tin with the paint burned off. I also have loading blocks that I can perload with a 5 shot sting. I think loading blocks are old, but that's a never-ending argument that gets us no where. My gut felling would be that strips cut at the muzzle was the most common. For hunting I never much concerned about getting a second loaded fast. None of my gun sports a patch box. When I did own a rifle with a pb I found prelubed stuck in the box a pain as it was easy to drop them all on the ground. I used it at the time for cleaning patchs and a worm. and a tin of grease.

I use strips most of the time, and tied to the bag strap. I also carry a small tin filled with a lube mix of beeswax and sweet oil. I open the box and rub the end of the strip in it then place it on the barrel, add ball and load. At times I have used precut patches laid in the box on top of the lube ready to go. Depends on what I'm after. Squirrels usually require more shooting than deer for instance and when after the bushy tails I often use the patch in lube box method as six will fit just right on top of the lube spread out when toting the 32.

I grease the strip before i leave the house then tie it to the bag strap ,have 6 or 8 rbs it pouch pocket inside ,razor sharp knife fastend to pouch and cut as needed.But i say try it all the different ways and see what works best for you.A premeasured charge of powder is real handy if deer is what your after.It has saved the day for me a few times. Curt

Back