• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharps tang sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you still have the factory ladder sight on the barrel? I kept it. I have to move the ladder two clicks up for point blank range with the tunnel front sight, but if I shoot at short range I sometimes don't put the long range sight on. If you still have it I encourage you to try it :) Who knows, perhaps you'll like it.
Yes … the gun is stock … I’ve never raised it to shoot . I leave it down for 50 yards ..I’ll try it up next time at 50 & 100 but I figured it would be worse given that the top of the ladder is for longer ranges according to the markings .

Yes … the gun is stock … I’ve never raised it to shoot . I leave it down for 50 yards ..I’ll try it up next time at 50 & 100 but I figured it would be worse given that the top of the ladder is for longer ranges according to the markings .

I mentioned raising it only because my front sight is taller. For your gun I would expect it to be shooting point blank if the ladder is flat. This way the bottom of the ladder forms a half buckhorn like this.
20210905_161515.jpg

"Point blank" may mean anything up to 50m.

Then you raise the ladder like this and test to find long range settings. Exact settings will depend on the load of course.
20210905_161528.jpg

Edit: Also when testing that buckhorn sight don't forget to test both aligning the top of the front post with the top of the notch, and the top of the "horns". Google "buckhorn sight picture" if needed to see what I mean.

Last edited:
How exactly do you use it ?

I think you'd measure the distance between front and rear sight.
Then find that distance on the chart. Then see how many inches you want to move point of impact, and it gives an appropriate amount of change in the sight it takes to correct the point of impact.
What I don't know is what range the chart reflects. 25, 50, 75, 100, or what yardage.

Then find that distance on the chart. Then see how many inches you want to move point of impact, and it gives an appropriate amount of change in the sight it takes to correct the point of impact.
What I don't know is what range the chart reflects. 25, 50, 75, 100, or what yardage.

If no one who remembers the range replies, I'll calculate it later today (it is morning now for me, I'll have some time in the evening).

The table is for the distance of 100 yards.

For 50 yards divide the adjustment needed by half.

For 100 meters multiply the result by 1.0936

So is this for adjusting the rear sight or the front 😀

Latest posts

Back