• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Tang Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colterkid

40 Cal
Reaction score
Just traded for a Thompson Center Renegade .50 muzzleloader that has a 3 hole tang. Is this tang designed for a TC Tang Sight? The tapped middle hole is very small.
Any help from y'all experts would be appreciated. Y'all have always come through.
CK

I just looked at my Renegade, and it has 2 screws in the sight base separate from the tang screws

I'm trying to recall if my early Renegade's tang had three holes, I know early Hawken models did and they were for the Thompson Center tang sight. Maybe someone with an early Renegade will chime in. I have a Renegade in the 46XX range but the tang is not drilled for the T/C peep. However, I bought this gun used and it could be the stock is from a model later than the barrel. Later Hawken models did not have the third hole, nor did my PA Hunter models, Big Boar or Renegade Hunter, single trigger, models I own.

Send a photo of the tang on your Renegade, it might have been drilled after leaving the factory. I've had my Big Boar and a PA Hunter Carbine drilled, wish I wouldn't have now as both need lower front sights to get the elevation I need using the T/C tang mounted peep.

Last edited:
I just looked at my Renegade, and it has 2 screws in the sight base separate from the tang screws
The factory three hole drilling of the tang was for their peep sights. They did that on some the Hawken, Renegade and New Englander rifles. Don't know about other models.

I'm trying to recall if my early Renegade's tang had three holes, I know early Hawken models did and they were for the Thompson Center tang sight. Maybe someone with an early Renegade will chime in. I have a Renegade in the 46XX range but the tang is not drilled for the T/C peep. However, I bought this gun used and it could be the stock is from a model later than the barrel. Later Hawken models did not have the third hole, nor did my PA Hunter models, Big Boar or Renegade Hunter, single trigger, models I own.

Send a photo of the tang on your Renegade, it might have been drilled after leaving the factory. I've had my Big Boar and a PA Hunter Carbine drilled, wish I wouldn't have now as both need lower front sights to get the elevation I need using the T/C tang mounted peep.
It looks to be machined from the factory with a very nice screw in it flush with the tang. Very small scew.
I'll get you a picture. I'm working on removing the bluing now.

Old #7, I appreciate that. Do you have the tang screws specifically the center tang screw? Without that I wouldn't know what size it's threaded for.
CK

The factory three hole drilling of the tang was for their peep sights. They did that on some the Hawken, Renegade and New Englander rifles. Don't know about other models.
Mine has 4 holes, I haven’t tried to remove the sight or tang. That’s how i got it.

Attachments

• IMG_1740.jpeg
    IMG_1740.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Attachments

• 20240201_082239_HDR.jpg
    20240201_082239_HDR.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 0

Attachments

• 20240201_082253_HDR.jpg
    20240201_082253_HDR.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 0
This is what I have.
Looks factory to me. Are you sure it's a Renegade. Looks more like a 15/16" from the photo, but it's a photo so kind of hard to tell.
Well, the stock is black walnut with no raised cheek piece, and the factory barrel says Renegade, but I don't know if that means much.
What think ye?

Attachments

• 20240201_082253_HDR.jpg
    20240201_082253_HDR.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 0
This is what I have.

Well, the stock is black walnut with no raised cheek piece, and the factory barrel says Renegade, but I don't know if that means much.
What think ye?
I really don't want to drill the tang for a peep sight. Thought about buying a two hole tang and drilling it if I can't find a factory tang sight.

Back