• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Rigby .451 reproduction can you help identify

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmoto

32 Cal
Reaction score
Photo 22-12-2023, 16 21 21.jpg
Photo 22-12-2023, 16 22 26.jpg
Photo 22-12-2023, 16 23 15.jpg

I have recently purchased this as described by the auction : A GOOD REPRODUCTION JOHN RIGBY .451 PERCUSSION MATCH RIFLE, with round 37in. heavy barrel, detachable ball-starter at muzzle, micro adjustable tunnel fore-sight, patent squared breech with colour hardened tang and lock, walnut pistol-grip half-stock with horn fore-end tip
I was hoping somebody here would be able to give me some idea of manufacturer, age etc Im new to this and was hoping to develop this into a competition rifle for use at short to medium distances but it seems information on such examples is sparse at best looking forward to hearing your opinions. as well as ideas for loads and correct bullet type etc etc.
Many Thanks

your original rigby looks superb can i ask what range do you shoot at and do you cast your own bullets ? if so what mould do you use ? also do you know or have a recommendation on nipple size and nipple thread size that you use ? thanks for all your help.

Thanks
I shoot to 1000yds, I held many LR BP matches over the decades.
I cast my own and swage my own -paper patch.
I don’t recall the nipple threads - I believe it’s 1/4-28.

Check with Buffalo Arms - they used to sell pp bullets in multiple diameters. 0.442” - pp up to 0.450”-0.451” should do well.
Assuming your bore is 0.451”.

I have recently purchased this as described by the auction : A GOOD REPRODUCTION JOHN RIGBY .451 PERCUSSION MATCH RIFLE, with round 37in. heavy barrel, detachable ball-starter at muzzle, micro adjustable tunnel fore-sight, patent squared breech with colour hardened tang and lock, walnut pistol-grip half-stock with horn fore-end tip
I was hoping somebody here would be able to give me some idea of manufacturer, age etc Im new to this and was hoping to develop this into a competition rifle for use at short to medium distances but it seems information on such examples is sparse at best looking forward to hearing your opinions. as well as ideas for loads and correct bullet type etc etc.
Many Thanks
Can you share details of the proof marks? Ardesa / Intermarco of Spain made a repro. Rigby, but I don’t think that’s what this is. It may have been made by the late Dave Eden - he was a skilled gunsmith and made several Rigby match rifles.

BTW, that’s not a ’detachable ball-starter’ - the ‘false muzzle’ as applied to British match rifles is essentially a muzzle protector. It stops wear to the muzzle from loading and cleaning rods. Bullets are generally a close slip-fit and don’t need starting.

I note you’re in Suffolk. The Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain holds muzzle loading matches at short range, plus 200, 300, 500, 600, 900 and 1000 yards, and the Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB holds additional matches and practice days. The events are held at Bisley.

There’s quite a lot of information on Long Range Muzzle Loading on my web site.

David

Last edited:
If the front sight is soldered on, I wonder if you will have to clean the area you plan on shifting to and fluxing it for your solder to flow and tin to the new spot. You don't need a lot of powder for those rifles but the lead expenditure goes up a fair amount over a round ball gun unless of course you shoot round balls in it.
The foresight base is fixed - one screw is for adjustment for windage and the other for locking the sight in place. Typical charges in these long range match rifles is 85 - 95 grains of FFg, with a 530 grain bullet. They’re designed for long range (out to 1000 yards) target shooting.

Here’s a link to a contemporary description of a Rigby Rifle from 1869.

David

Can you share details of the proof marks? Ardesa / Intermarco of Spain made a repro. Rigby, but I don’t think that’s what this is. It may have been made by the late Dave Eden - he was a skilled gunsmith and made several Rigby match rifles.

BTW, that’s not a ’detachable ball-starter’ - the ‘false muzzle’ as applied to British match rifles is essentially a muzzle protector. It stops wear to the muzzle from loading and cleaning rods. Bullets are generally a close slip-fit and don’t need starting.

I note you’re in Suffolk. The Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain holds muzzle loading matches at short range, plus 200, 300, 500, 600, 900 and 1000 yards, and the Long Range Rifles Branch of the MLAGB holds additional matches and practice days. The events are held at Bisley.

There’s quite a lot of information on Long Range Muzzle Loading on my web site.

David
Many thanks for your responses David, I own your materials and visit your site often, please find attached all pics of any markings excluding serial number and some others I cannot find a proof mark any where ? let me know your thoughts please

Attachments

• Photo 25-12-2023, 16 49 09.jpg
    Photo 25-12-2023, 16 49 09.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Photo 25-12-2023, 16 49 21.jpg
    Photo 25-12-2023, 16 49 21.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Photo 25-12-2023, 16 54 07.jpg
    Photo 25-12-2023, 16 54 07.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Photo 25-12-2023, 16 54 47.jpg
    Photo 25-12-2023, 16 54 47.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Photo 25-12-2023, 16 54 14.jpg
    Photo 25-12-2023, 16 54 14.jpg
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo 25-12-2023, 16 55 47.jpg
    Photo 25-12-2023, 16 55 47.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Photo 25-12-2023, 16 55 27.jpg
    Photo 25-12-2023, 16 55 27.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The foresight base is fixed - one screw is for adjustment for windage and the other for locking the sight in place. Typical charges in these long range match rifles is 85 - 95 grains of FFg, with a 530 grain bullet. They’re designed for long range (out to 1000 yards) target shooting.

Here’s a link to a contemporary description of a Rigby Rifle from 1869.

David

Superb information thanks David, I own a copy of Russells book superb also many thanks for all your help so far

Many thanks for your responses David, I own your materials and visit your site often, please find attached all pics of any markings excluding serial number and some others I cannot find a proof mark any where ? let me know your thoughts please
I’ll have to have a look at photos I have, later in the week. Thanks for the additional pics.

David

I’ll have to have a look at photos I have, later in the week. Thanks for the additional pics.

David
Good Morning David, I hope your enjoying the Xmas Holiday, I wonder if you could give me a lead to find more information on David Eden please I have researched but cannot find anything at all. many thanks for your help so far.
Paul.

Good Morning David, I hope your enjoying the Xmas Holiday, I wonder if you could give me a lead to find more information on David Eden please I have researched but cannot find anything at all. many thanks for your help so far.
Paul.
Paul,

You probably won’t find anything about Dave. Sadly he passed away in recent times. He shot at Bisley with the MLAGB, and was a skilled gunsmith. His Rigby rifles were made to order. I think I put something in the MLAGBs ‘Black Powder’ magazine about Dave’s Rigby rifles, but that was many years ago.

David

Paul,

You probably won’t find anything about Dave. Sadly he passed away in recent times. He shot at Bisley with the MLAGB, and was a skilled gunsmith. His Rigby rifles were made to order. I think I put something in the MLAGBs ‘Black Powder’ magazine about Dave’s Rigby rifles, but that was many years ago.

David
Hi David

Many thanks for your fast reply, so there’s literally no way of telling if this is an Eden rifle ? Thanks again.
Paul

Paul,

David
HI David
Ny idea where I could procure the insert for the front sight globe ? thanks again for all your help

David Minshall, could the rifle in question be a Monk Rigby?
Based on the info. I have on the Monk Rigby, it has a different shaped hammer, pins in the lock plate are in a different position, and the flash guard at the nipple is different. So, I don't think it is one of the Rigby's that David Monk was making in the mid-1980's.

David

View attachment 278354View attachment 278355View attachment 278356

Many Thanks
Looks like an original 'new' one! Must have been quite expensive!

Based on the info. I have on the Monk Rigby, it has a different shaped hammer, pins in the lock plate are in a different position, and the flash guard at the nipple is different. So, I don't think it is one of the Rigby's that David Monk was making in the mid-1980's.
David

Anyone who copies another maker and DOES NOT mark/his own name (somewhere clearly on the rifle. Ex: underside of barrel) is a person lacking integrity -imo.

Latest posts

Back