• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharpening a razor

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanscamaro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a question about straight razors, one of which I used as a patch knife for awhile until the well worn blade broke off.

I have been a cup & brush shaver for years and just this week bought a straight razor. I'm still trying to get used to it (a few nicks here and there never hurt anyone :hmm: ). Can you talk to me a little about sharpenin/keeping it sharp. So far, I have only stropped it on leather.
:idunno: :idunno: :grin:

Not to answer for Paul, but I used to watch my dad, and he just sharpened his like a pocket knife, using progressively (man I hate that word) finer stones, ending with a hard arkansas before stropping. :thumbsup:

Mike Brines said:
Not to answer for Paul, but I used to watch my dad, and he just sharpened his like a pocket knife, using progressively (man I hate that word) finer stones, ending with a hard arkansas before stropping. :thumbsup:

Arkansas, or oil stones are OK, but water stones can make a keener edge. Oil stones should also be cleaned with Green Magic after each use. As far as that goes, GM cn be used in place of oil. Oil tends to plug the pores and drasticly affects sharpening. Progressive sharpening is neccesary depending on how dull the edge is.

There are two very good options starting with the Norton Portable waterstone set. A second choice is the Edge Pro.

Valve lapping compound can be used on a leather strop glued to a board. This stuff IS agressive.

First you have to have a razor stone, their fine grained. Here's how a barber told me how to sharpen one, You use a figure eight motion, you have the blade facing away from you,draw it toward you,flip it over and draw it back. now a lot of people don't know that a razor has the thick back for a reason, when you lay it flat on the stone, the back makes for the right angle to sharpen the blade. After you get it sharp on the stone,you strop it to take of the wire edge. They have to be sharp or not fun. Hope this makes senses, The barber cleaned his stone with lava soap. Dilly

Boar-dilly said:
First you have to have a razor stone, their fine grained. Here's how a barber told me how to sharpen one, You use a figure eight motion, you have the blade facing away from you,draw it toward you,flip it over and draw it back. now a lot of people don't know that a razor has the thick back for a reason, when you lay it flat on the stone, the back makes for the right angle to sharpen the blade. After you get it sharp on the stone,you strop it to take of the wire edge. They have to be sharp or not fun. Hope this makes senses, The barber cleaned his stone with lava soap. Dilly

Good info here. I've shaved with a straight razor for years, and love it. Here are the "secrets" I've found: Use the stone first and last, before and after each shave. Lay it "flat", as was mentioned above, the spine is that thick for a reason. Then use a leather strop just as you would with a knife. Follow that up with some strokes on the cloth side of your strop.

Remember that a straight razor is different from a safety razor in that it should "plow" off a wide swath of whiskers with one careful stroke. You really shouldn't have to pass over the same spot more than once if you do it right. But you do have to stop and use the cloth strop several times during the shave. Keeps it very sharp and the cutting edge straight. Never be in a hurry.

After you're done with your shave, give it another light pass on the stone, a bit on the leather, and a touch on the cloth. Then a little mineral oil on the blade and you're done.

I've only cut myself once with a straight razor, many years ago. Since then, never. And I get a great smooth shave.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

You have all provided good information. One point I never knew is that the thickness of the back of the blade was a resting point in honing. I really appreciate the help and will work on improving my experience in using a straight razor.
:thumbsup: :bow: :grin:

I use a "black Arkansas stone" well oiled.
ALWAYS STOKE the razor with the edge away. Never towards the edge.
Finish with a leather strop..I use the green polishing compound, but there are other polishing compounds.
That leather strop with the compound Puts that final edge on the blade.
Keep the edge thin, you want the thinnest edge you can get. Again always with the edge way, not toward the edge.
It will not last for anything, but will be as sharp enough to shave your stubborn chin whiskers.
I have a small straight edge, just a cheap Chinese one. It works great as a patch cutter and just a handy little blade to open letters and other small tasks

Actually, green polishing compound is for stainless steel, and white polishing compound is for carbon steel. However, black compound can be used as a first step, before the white compound on a seperate strop.

You just rub the white polishing compound on a piece of leather and push your knife or razor away from the edge? And is there a special name for the polishing compound and can I get it at an auto parts store or some place else?

woodse guy said:
You just rub the white polishing compound on a piece of leather and push your knife or razor away from the edge? And is there a special name for the polishing compound and can I get it at an auto parts store or some place else?

Yes, rub the white compound into the leather. You don't have to go overboard with it. And yes, PULL (away from the edge) the blade across the strop with light pressure and slightly more angle than is on the blade. Don't go overboard with that either, about 2* more.

Most people use too much oil on the black Arkansas stone. Put on a few drops and then wipe it with a paper towel and just leave the stone looking shiney, not dripping wet.

Someone said use a figure 8 with the blade. That is at least partly true. On using the black stone, a back and forth zig-zag motion does the same thing. Just make sure you are keeping the same angle. What you are doing is POLISHING the edge.

I also clean my stones with Green Magic to open the pores back up when I am done sharpening.

The compound is just the stuff you put on a cloth wheel that you use for polishing metal right.

woodse guy said:
The compound is just the stuff you put on a cloth wheel that you use for polishing metal right.

Yes, the same thing. In fact I also use a 6" cloth wheel instead of a strop at times, but I hate to suggest that because if one's not careful, the knife can go flying out of the hand with unwanted results.

Women go to day spas and get mud packs to decompress. When fellas indulge themselves, they use a straight razor! Once you get onto it a good shave leaves ya feeling like a million bucks! :thumbsup:

My scholarly advice is that if you are not a sharpening ace - never take a new straight razor to a stone of any kind. Always strop it. If you stay on top of it with the strop the stones should not be necessary. I have heard that re-honing these things is a bit of an art and should only be necessary with neglected blades.

Always, always dry them off when you put them away too. The buggers will rust if ya neglect them even once.

Glenfilthie said:
My scholarly advice is that if you are not a sharpening ace - never take a new straight razor to a stone of any kind.

Actually, that is good advise.

I have used jeweler's rouge. It was in a white stick form to use on my strops. Dilly

Deano, the post about checking out thestraightrazorplace.com is good advice and you should look at their site.

I would avoid putting anything at all on the strop for now- mine is uncoated and gives good result. Remember that stropping the razor is to take the last tiny bit of edge and polish it smooth- not to remove any material from the metal.

Don't hesitate to put a light coating of mineral oil (baby oil) on the surface of the razor when it's not in use. A very humid environment (like, your bathroom, for instance) can start rust on your razor in the proverbial New York minute, and there you are with an expensive tool all messed up. Simichrome polishing compound can fix this to some extent (don't ask me how I know :redface: ), but it's best if you avoid this problem before it even starts.

As regards nicks, I don't know- never cut myself badly enough to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a moment of senility, I said to use Green Magic. I meant to say SIMPLE GREEN to clean your stones! :shake:

I use ceramic stones and the best thing I have found to clean them is mothers mag and aluminum wheel polish. Chris

Back