• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sharon swamped barrel quality?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all, as title says, looking for info on an as new swamped .45 sharon barrel . what say you guys?? 12L14. ??
Probably but don't know for certain as it was the alloy of choice for most muzzle loading barrels of the era. Douglas had some barrels come apart and stopped producing them made of the alloy. Makes me wonder if Sharon didn't run into the same trouble.

Having watched (and learned) at his shop i can attest to fact only the very best of his work made it through to completion and bears his mark. Any flaw (or even a perceived one) went straight to the scrap pile. Probably have the only unmarked Sharon barrel in existence and its perfect on the inside. Its story is too long to tell.

I have 4 or 5 Sharon rifles or rifles with Sharon barrels. They are my favorite muzzleloading rifle barrels.
Very good shooters, very accurate.

Well they didn't really go to the scrap pile. Every year or two, Harrison Reimer would load up a trailer with them and haul them to Friendship. Sold them at a discount price, and sold every one he took. Even the rejects were match winners.
Having watched (and learned) at his shop i can attest to fact only the very best of his work made it through to completion and bears his mark. Any flaw (or even a perceived one) went straight to the scrap pile. Probably have the only unmarked Sharon barrel in existence and its perfect on the inside. Its story is too long to tell.

Back in the day , never heard a complaint about Sharon brls.. I never used any because the Getz shop was on my way to work.

Well they didn't really go to the scrap pile. Every year or two, Harrison Reimer would load up a trailer with them and haul them to Friendship. Sold them at a discount price, and sold every one he took. Even the rejects were match winners.
By the time his shop was in Sonora CA he was really picky. The sight of the rain water filled drums where a few rejects went was sad. Sadder still were the drums full of the 90% complete TC .45/410 contender barrels that they couldn't sell due to atf issues. Anyone fortunate enough to have him as an instructor at Lassen Gunsmith School had a real experience. As said may times i often caught him covering up some "special custom" work as I walked in. When pressed he admitted he was making a run of high precision "fine tune" artillery luger sights. These were undisguisable from original with numbers and proofs. Made me suspect of every pistol i saw after that.

Go ahead we've got time.

My first build was with a Sharon Barrel in 1986. It is still a very accurate barrel and I still shoot it.
I was in Kelispell in later years and wanted to visit the shop where it was built. I stopped at a gun shop or gas station and asked where it was and told that they were closed up. I asked if anyone had any barrels for sale around there. The good ole boy told me that the last time he had seen a Sharon barrel, he was throwing a horseshoe at it!

todays shooting with my Sharon barreled SMR. i really need to shoot it more. helps my confidence.

Attachments

• 20240503_143733.jpg
    20240503_143733.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back