• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel finishing question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokingoodtimes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys. As the title suggests I’m about to refinish a barrel. Seems the general consensus is that barrels from 1760s were usually left bright and over time would patina and become that dull grey. I’ve read on here that mustard is recommended but was curious about a different method. I see Jim Kibler has a video on YouTube were he uses brass darkener. Anyone ever try this? If you have can you let me know your results and pictures would be greatly appreciated. Other opinions are welcome. I have used cold brown in the past but seems like browned barrels weren’t a thing yet?

The Williamsburg Gunsmiths shop has done a lot of research on barrel finishes. Yes, the most common was "in the white", which if kept up and maintained would patina into grey; if not, turn brown. Their research indicates that browning as a deliberate finish can be documented in the 1780's. Another alternative is a heat/charcoal blue where the barrel is packed in fine charcoal and heated to about 700-800 degrees. Until the Williamsburg smiths redeveloped that process in the mid 1980's they used a slow rust blue which gave a finish very similar to the heat/charcoal blue. The blues will also eventually turn brown if not maintained.

My preference for earlier period guns is "in the white" or a rust blue; and after 1780 a rust brown. I am not a fan of artificial patina. My reasoning is in the period a trade gun could up to a months income, a rifle 4 to 6 months income. It's not reasonable that they would abuse through poor maintenance something that cost so much.

However, artificial patina is popular --it's your gun and you should finish it in whatever way pleases you!

Last edited:
The Williamsburg Gunsmiths shop has done a lot of research on barrel finishes. Yes, the most common was "in the white", which if kept up and maintained would patina into grey; if not, turn brown. Their research indicates that browning as a deliberate finish can be documented in the 1780's. Another alternative is a heat/charcoal blue where the barrel is packed in fine charcoal and heated to about 700-800 degrees. Until the Williamsburg smiths redeveloped that process in the mid 1980's they used a slow rust blue which gave a finish very similar to the heat/charcoal blue. The blues will also eventually turn brown if not maintained.

My preference for earlier period guns is "in the white" or a rust blue; and after 1780 a rust brown. I am not a fan of artificial patina. My reasoning is in the period a trade gun could up to a months income, a rifle 4 to 6 months income. It's not reasonable that they would abuse through poor maintenance something that cost so much.

However, artificial patina is popular --it's your gun and you should finish it in whatever way pleases you!
Thanks for your input. Don’t have any issues leaving in the white and letting age. My big concern was having a bright barrel on afternoon hunts and the barrel burning out my retinas.

The Jax Black works very well for a gray finish, just follow the vid and your set, the reason mustard works is the vinegar in the mustard, that being said straight vinegar liquid is a long tedious process compared to smearing that yellow goo on the steel and letting it sit, be very careful getting an even coat else it turns out blotchy!

This is a Traditions Kentucky Rifle. The flats were sanded with 400 grit paper to remove the milling marks. A 15 minute coat of naval jelly gave it a nice gray. 20230819_090952.jpg

This is a Traditions Kentucky Rifle. The flats were sanded with 400 grit paper to remove the milling marks. A 15 minute coat of naval jelly gave it a nice gray. View attachment 298684
I did this on a Traditions Deerhunter at least 12 years ago. It still has a pleasing dull gray to it. It has a very slight amount of aging but not much. It gets wiped down with oil after every cleaning.

Latest posts

Back