• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamped barrel on a .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to the shop today and asked about the swamped in .45. Turns out I can only get the swamped in 38 inch. And the shop is working on orders from April 2022. So I'm a ways out yet. I think my best option is a straight 13/16 - .45 Colrain. I'm going to call back in Oct. and specify that barrel.

My swamped 38 inch .50's are ok to hold for an old guy, so I'm hoping the 36 inch straight .45 will work out ok.

In most cases - the lightest straight barrel for a given caliber and length will weigh less than the lightest swamped barrel for that caliber and length.

Im not at all recommending against a swamped barrel - they look really nice - and many historic guns have them.

But take the magical balance and weight claims with a bit of salt.
I totally disagree with your statement that the lightest straight barrel for a given caliber and length is lighter in weight and handles better than a swamped barrel. You implied that handling disadvantage of a swamped barrel with your statement to "take the magical balance and weight claims with a bit of salt." Sounds to me like you don't have and perhaps have never carried, shouldered, or shot a longrifle with a swamped barrel.

I have both, a .50-cal. Traditions Pennsylvania Longrifle with a straight barrel that I bought in ~2004 and an Early Lancaster rifle with a swamped barrel that I bought in ~2006 or '07. The Traditions longrifle has a 40¼" long straight barrel with a 1:66" twist. My Early Lancaster has a 44½" swamped barrel with a 1:56" twist. Overall length of the Traditions PA Longrifle is 56". My Early Lancaster rifle is 60¼" in length. My Early Lancaster rifle is about 2-lbs lighter than my Traditions Longrifle even though it is more than 4" longer than the Tradition's Longrifle. The swamped barrel, even though it is 4¼" longer than the 40¼" barrel on the Traditions rifle, balances beautifully right where my left hand grasps the forearm. It is far easier to carry, mount, swing, and hold on target than the Traditions with the straight barrel that is nose heavy to carry mount, swing, and hold on target.. If I were ordering a new longrifle and I could either upgrade the wood in the stock for for more grain or upgrade from a straight (or straight tapered) barrel up to a swamped barrel I absolutely would go with the swamped barrel every time. It is a real pleasure to use.

I totally disagree with your statement that the lightest straight barrel for a given caliber and length is lighter in weight and handles better than a swamped barrel. You implied that handling disadvantage of a swamped barrel with your statement to "take the magical balance and weight claims with a bit of salt." Sounds to me like you don't have and perhaps have never carried, shouldered, or shot a longrifle with a swamped barrel.

I have both, a .50-cal. Traditions Pennsylvania Longrifle with a straight barrel that I bought in ~2004 and an Early Lancaster rifle with a swamped barrel that I bought in ~2006 or '07. The Traditions longrifle has a 40¼" long straight barrel with a 1:66" twist. My Early Lancaster has a 44½" swamped barrel with a 1:56" twist. Overall length of the Traditions PA Longrifle is 56". My Early Lancaster rifle is 60¼" in length. My Early Lancaster rifle is about 2-lbs lighter than my Traditions Longrifle even though it is more than 4" longer than the Tradition's Longrifle. The swamped barrel, even though it is 4¼" longer than the 40¼" barrel on the Traditions rifle, balances beautifully right where my left hand grasps the forearm. It is far easier to carry, mount, swing, and hold on target than the Traditions with the straight barrel that is nose heavy to carry mount, swing, and hold on target.. If I were ordering a new longrifle and I could either upgrade the wood in the stock for for more grain or upgrade from a straight (or straight tapered) barrel up to a swamped barrel I absolutely would go with the swamped barrel every time. It is a real pleasure to use.
Thanks for giving real world evidence to that which many of us know but do not have direct evidence of.

I talked to the shop today and asked about the swamped in .45. Turns out I can only get the swamped in 38 inch. And the shop is working on orders from April 2022. So I'm a ways out yet. I think my best option is a straight 13/16 - .45 Colrain. I'm going to call back in Oct. and specify that barrel.

My swamped 38 inch .50's are ok to hold for an old guy, so I'm hoping the 36 inch straight .45 will work out ok.
You can get the same barrel from TOTW made by Green Mountain that will be 1134 certified barrel steel instead of a 12L14 Colerain barrel.

I maybe wrong but I think on originals it was about 50/50 between swamped and straights. Others probably have better info.

Back