• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scratched Frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo Man

32 Cal
Reaction score
This is my first, but I hope not last flintlock. It is a Pedersoli Frontier .45. When I received it from the dealer and opened the package, I saw this scratch on the frizzen. Looks like it has been gouged with a piece of metal. Should I not worry about it or does it need to be smoothed over? 616F5B27-1E90-4B36-9245-D623B9D9B333.jpeg

Thank you. I just wasn’t sure. I’ve had percussions for years, but hadn’t tried the flintlock. I’ll take it out and let ‘er spark away!

Somebody snapped it with a flint that wasn't in straight, and it only caught the far left edge.

The "suspicious scratch" on the frizzen is just as Stophel noted. Someone put a flint in the jaws to see if the lock would spark. Any flint rifle frizzen will look just like that and even worse in time.

Pedersoli proof fires their rifles at the factory, flint wasnt straight when they did it. My pennsylvania rifle had a horizontal impact mark high up on the frizzen from the same proof test only in my case the flint clearly wasnt angled correctly in the jaws.

Chris

Just wait until your flint takes a chunk out of your barrel! That will really make your day!

On the frizzen I wouldnt care one bit. Sacrificial component anyway.

This is my first, but I hope not last flintlock. It is a Pedersoli Frontier .45. When I received it from the dealer and opened the package, I saw this scratch on the frizzen. Looks like it has been gouged with a piece of metal. Should I not worry about it or does it need to be smoothed over?View attachment 67823
That's normal...on a new gun, the frizzens will be tested to see that they are hard and will spark.

The deep scratches/grooves come from the flint striking the frizzen face head-on 90 degrees. Mounted correctly the flint will only leave vertical scratches on the frizzen.

This is my first, but I hope not last flintlock. It is a Pedersoli Frontier .45. When I received it from the dealer and opened the package, I saw this scratch on the frizzen. Looks like it has been gouged with a piece of metal. Should I not worry about it or does it need to be smoothed over?View attachment 67823
it doesn't seem to be in the striking area of the flint. shoot it.

Back