• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on my Frizzen?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fieldgradevt

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m hoping for some expert advice. As a lefty flintlocks are awfully hard to find. I recently acquired a lefty DGW Tennessee rifle which I’ve fallen head over heels for. I’m worried about the wear on the Frizzen. Since replacement parts are effectively non-existent I thought I’d ask for some advice. What can I do to prolong the life of the Frizzen and or are there any locks that can be used to replace it should it finally wear out?
IMG_1822.jpeg
IMG_1823.jpeg

Hi everyone,
I’m hoping for some expert advice. As a lefty flintlocks are awfully hard to find. I recently acquired a lefty DGW Tennessee rifle which I’ve fallen head over heels for. I’m worried about the wear on the Frizzen. Since replacement parts are effectively non-existent I thought I’d ask for some advice. What can I do to prolong the life of the Frizzen and or are there any locks that can be used to replace it should it finally wear out?View attachment 290580View attachment 290581
How does this frizzen spark?

Obviously has been used a lot. That may mean it works just fine. A light sanding will smooth it out some. If it sparks and fires fine you need do nothing more than enjoy. If it doesn't spark, re-read previous suggestions.

I rehardened my lyman frizzen after about 700 shots. Used Cherry Red I got from Dixon's. I think it worked very well, maybe double the amount of spark I was getting and only took a short amount of time. I also used it on a lock tool to harden the screw driver bit and that worked well. So keep shooting and just reharden it when the amount of spark depletes, It should last a really long time.

Others have already said it. If it sparks now, you're ok. If not, you can get it re-soled. I had that done to an old Dixie lock that was just not hardened well. The Gent used a piece of band saw blade and riveted and soldered it in place. Sparks like crazy.

Hi everyone,
I’m hoping for some expert advice. As a lefty flintlocks are awfully hard to find. I recently acquired a lefty DGW Tennessee rifle which I’ve fallen head over heels for. I’m worried about the wear on the Frizzen. Since replacement parts are effectively non-existent I thought I’d ask for some advice. What can I do to prolong the life of the Frizzen and or are there any locks that can be used to replace it should it finally wear out?View attachment 290580View attachment 290581
Learn to pressure flake your flint edge which keeps it moving it's contact with the frizzen face discouraging groove cutting.
I see that your frizzen had a groove cut in it that has been partially ground out so it may be soft. If it sparks well than leave it alone but if it breaks flint often or does not spark well than the cock angle may need adjusting.
These frizzens can be re-soled so wearing one out is not a real concern.
The thing to do first is to shoot the schnitt out of it and see where it needs some help !

You can reface it with a new piece of steel, soldered or riveted on, like they have been doing for hundreds of years. Here’s an example in a 200 year old flintlock pistol.
Yes this works well but I found it to be tricky. Often the base of the frizzen face is very close up the fence. So, very thin high carbon steel stock must be used and I find it necessary to remove some of the face of the frizzen. So I anneal the frizzen completely for this stock removal. Filing it perfectly flat is tricky. I prefer regular handsaw blade material for facing frizzens. I bend and harden the new face first if soldering. If brazing I do not pre-harden. I wire the face in place, braze, and quench. Then temper.

Yes this works well but I found it to be tricky. Often the base of the frizzen face is very close up the fence. So, very thin high carbon steel stock must be used and I find it necessary to remove some of the face of the frizzen. So I anneal the frizzen completely for this stock removal. Filing it perfectly flat is tricky. I prefer regular handsaw blade material for facing frizzens. I bend and harden the new face first if soldering. If brazing I do not pre-harden. I wire the face in place, braze, and quench. Then temper.
I wonder if a Tuff-Bond shoe replacement would stay put after roughing up both bond surfaces as there is really no heat issue to be addressed. I would think perhaps the shock load of flint strike may eventually be the weakness to the bond but have not tested the idea. It would not have the strength of a braze but some of this epoxy now days nears or exceeds soft solder strength I believe. The Force-44 low temp silver solder I use often would be and exception as it has 2/3rds the strength of high temp silver solder.
I have lined barrels with soft solder, loc-tite and epoxy and all seem more than adequate to the purpose of shock load but of course this is a tension load stress, primarily being held captive inside the original barrel proper.

You can reface it with a new piece of steel, soldered or riveted on, like they have been doing for hundreds of years. Here’s an example in a 200 year old flintlock pistol.
And an example of one I did just a few months ago for the first time on an import frizzen for my sea service pistol. I used a thin piece of high carbon 1095 and the rivet method and it was pretty easy. Works great now! Just keep shooting yours and resole as necessary indefinitely.

IMG_6406.jpeg

Last edited:
My old gunsmith buddy, Ron Griffie, used to keep a fender from a 40s era car to make frizzen faces with. He claimed the old steel was better than new steel.

And an example of one I did just a few months ago for the first time on an import frizzen for my sea service pistol. I used a thin piece of high carbon 1095 and the rivet method and it was pretty easy. Works great now! Just keep shooting yours and resole as necessary indefinitely.

View attachment 290949
Just curious what the rivet method is ? -Thanks

Latest posts

Back