• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Saw Handle flint Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50flinter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Saw this pistol on the gun works muzzleloading emporium website. Anyone have one to review? Is this a good place to buy a flintlock from? I searched the net but didn't find much information regarding the quality of the oregon barrels. Any info would be appreciated.

Whew...all I can say is that it is a Sweet looking piece! And with that price you would expect QuALITY! Have you look at the pistols on Cherrys website? some Nice ones there too!!!

Are you in the market for a target pistol? If you are, be advised that this is a serious business for the people involved in it and you will need a high quality pistol in order to be competitive.

If you are simply looking for a nice flint pistol to carry as an addition to a rifle or a fowler then you will be far better served by an early American or English style pistol. They balance better for carry use--the saw handled target pistols live in pistol cases and not on the sashes of normal folk. They aren't "carry" guns and would look out of place if used as such.

I am interested in a carry pistol to go with my T/C Hawken. I looked at the Traditions Trapper pistol while at a Gander Mountain store in CO, and had to look at three of them since the sights were falling off and other poor craftsmanship issues. I was quite disappointed since I have wanted one for quite awhile and finally had "disposable" income in my pocket. I like the half stock look better than the full stock and this pistol seemed to fit the bill. You do have a point about carrying it with the Hawken, if I do get it, I may just hunt with that pistol.

The Gun Works pistols seem to be quality. If you're looking for something a little less pricey but still decent, the Lyman Plains Pistol might fit the bill. (And it's a half-stock)

If you like the saw-handle stock you might want to take a look at the Pedersoli 'Mortimer' pistol as well. I have the .44 smoothbore flintlock version, but they are also available with a rifled barrel. Mine shoots very well, & the lock is an excellent sparker with long flint life. I highly recommend them.

MortimerSB.jpg

Back