• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheapest pistol kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ready to spend that 30.95 for shipping just to have a dog in this fight.

What's good for a mid-nineteenth homicidal maniac in a theater viewing box is good enough for me.

My first BP gun was the CVA Derringer. That's why I want one now. Couldn't hit a thing with it when I was 16. But it was fun and made me laugh.

And that's what shooting is all about. Having fun.

Springer I have the Pedersli Liege screw Pistol also. Probably worth the same in paperweight value as the Derringer but at 10 yards it does put holes in a thug target. Besides you do not have to buy fireworks. Kill,s two bird,s with one stone.....LOL!

this was my first ever pistol. not even useful as a hammer. And it has a heck of a lot more barrel than a philly Derringer.

9704989_1_x.jpg

Dale to be honest I know it,s limitation,s. And it,s a fun build and im going to add embellishments to it. It will be left with the rest for my heirs to collect. And if at one point they think of me.....the better for it. Perhaps it will induce them into the other stuff I will leave behind..the more challenging and productive stuff. to keep it going...the love for the hobby....

They had pistols in the 100 to 150 range cva jukar etc also a couple of 950.00 rugar old army's. Lots of thompson center and cva rifles and a few original colts and Remington revolvers at 1100 1200 dollars one Remington navy that I really wanted. This was at the gun show up north here in Vermont. I was a little surprised at the selection of old muzzleloaders . They are definitely out there sitting collecting dust .

They had pistols in the 100 to 150 range cva jukar etc also a couple of 950.00 rugar old army's. Lots of thompson center and cva rifles and a few original colts and Remington revolvers at 1100 1200 dollars one Remington navy that I really wanted. This was at the gun show up north here in Vermont. I was a little surprised at the selection of old muzzleloaders . They are definitely out there sitting collecting dust .
Thanks for that!

Well I bet I couldnt have got 8 grains down the barrel of mine. Also have a screw in barrel gun hidden n a book thing. Same thing, cant put enough powder in it to penetrate any wood. Same for my .31 1849, can see the ball in the bark of the ponderosa.

Load it like as muzzle loader. through the thriat
Well I bet I couldnt have got 8 grains down the barrel of mine. Also have a screw in barrel gun hidden n a book thing. Same thing, cant put enough powder in it to penetrate any wood. Same for my .31 1849, can see the ball in the bark of the ponderosa.
20 grains load it from the top

Are there any muzzloading pistol kits you can buy for under $200? I know they're highly sought after but I don't want to have to break the bank to get my first muzzleloader.

Are there any lesser known kits that I'm more likely to find or places to search where one might come up besides here? I saw one in the classifieds here that was perfect becauseit was a slightly rusty older kit but already sold.
What is your end use of this pistol? Do you want a single shot or a revolver? In any case, a derringer is a very poor choice. Spend a little more and get a better gun. Personally, I think a rifle or a fowler is a better choice for a first muzzleloader.

Why would anybody try to talk somebody out of buying something that he really wants, leave him alone to get what he wants. Only causes un necessary aggravation and discontent.

OP be aware you get exactly LESS than what you pay for. If you want a cheap gun go ahead and get it. But know that your $200 investment will probably end up in the bottom of a drawer collecting lint soon after you acquire it due to its form and function. My advice would be to save a little more and get a full size ML pistol or rifle so that you can join in on shoots without having to have a cold line while you get within 20ft of the target just to have a chance hitting it. If you still insist on getting a derringer, then go to some organized shoots and ask around, someone will probably have one to get rid of on the cheap.

I always look for BP kits others have either botched or never finished. Here are 2 that i doubt i paid over 175 for both. The CVA MTN pistol is the after pic. The trapper is as it came

Attachments

• 20211019_080337.jpg
    20211019_080337.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230318_162815.jpg
    20230318_162815.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
The OP never said he wanted a derringer.

The OP said he wanted to spend 200 bucks.

I suggested to the OP that Deer Creek Outfitters had derringer kits for 209 bucks.

I never suggested the OP buy a derringer.

No one else ever suggested the OP buy a derringer.

The level of retardation, cat fighting and dk measuring in this thread is beyond all imagination.

Like a Jerry Lewis telethon had a head on collision with a short bus and this thread is the helmet wearing result.

P.S. Three pages and the OP is nowhere to be found.

Last edited:
If the OP isn't set on a single shot , $234 still buys a .44 Brasser off MidWay which may well turn out to be an assembled "kit" gun . It will definitely need grips and some internal finishing.

Fingers crossed Midway offers one of their random "Free Shipping above $75" or $10 off $100 deals that day

Other than that , GunBroker is full of old Jukars that probably aren't even shootable. 200 bucks barely buys anything with a trigger these days.

Is it just me or are the shows here just getting worse? The Barre show was🦨💨 We were very disappointed.........The last one was the best yet and I still only spent $20. A lot of overpriced junk.

some pretty cool stuff at the manchester VT biathlon. nothing i was willing part money for though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back