• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

German Jaeger rifle by Martin Diem In Hasfurt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I cannot find any information on the maker of this nice flintlock Jaeger. Hasfurt ( also "Ss" or "ß") is in Bavaria, Germany. But no information on Martin Diem.

It also has an attachment at the muzzle for a bayonet or hunting sword?

Sorry, I didn't get a photo of the whole rifle.
Brokennock has kindly agreed to upload the pics I did take.

If anyone has any info on this maker, I would be most appreciative.

Richard/Grumpa

Here are the pics,

30556761260076.jpeg
30556761400742.jpeg
30556761413171.jpeg
30556761412637.jpeg
30556761407623.jpeg
30556761520441.jpeg
30556761550447.jpeg

I think I got all of them.

Good luck on this one @Grumpa , I hope no one muddies the waters as you feared with questions about other guns.

If this was crafted in Germany they keep impeccable records of the people in their townships. You could easily contact the church in Hasfurt for an inquiry. What I'm curious about is the Germans use a double S when they write that looks like "ß" so I'm not sure about the single "S" in the signature. I spent many years in S. Germany and never saw it spelled differently. What I suspect and could easily be wrong is it was an American maker who may have had descendants that came to America from that area so he was copying a Jaeger school here at home that may have come from where his roots were?

I have run a quick search in German language on the name and there is nothing. I also looked into recent German/Austrian firearms auctions and the name didnt come up. There is nothing online on weapons manufacture in Hasfurt. My take is that it must have been a very small producer, or short lived.

Celt 5494 and Mle 1822, Thank you both for your responses, and the effort you put into researching this matter.

I, too, wondered about the spelling (ß), and I looked for museums in HAßFURT, but nothing seemed appropriate. I am reluctant to ask some church member to track the name when I have no dates of birth or death.

The surname Diem (German) could have originated from a recorder of days and dates, a calendar maker, or clock maker.

The idea of an American gunmaker copying a style from where he or his forebears originated is intriguing, but the rifle seems period authentic, and too well done to be a one-off.

Frustrating. I saw the jaeger at the Annual Bushy Run Historical Arms Show, put on by the Contemporary Longrifle Association, back in January. The fellow who had the rifle didn't know anything regarding the maker. I told him someone on this Forum would likely know of the man. My limited research was fruitless. Maybe someone here has heard of Martin Diem.

Thanks again, for your efforts.

Richard/Grumpa

Back