• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Saveing $$$

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woods Dweller

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Do you buy camp gear, leather,tinwear,clothing....Ect..] at Rendezvous, or do you use mail order?
Do you save buying at Rendezvous, compared to having to pay for shipping? Or is it the same price because your still paying for the product to get to Rendezvous?

If I can't make it myself, I will look for stuff at a rondy, hey it gives me a good excuse to go! :grin: I rather deal/trade with someone face to face than send money in the mail and hope that whats in the catalog is what shows up in the mailbox...

if you go to a good sized vous you can usually get anything you need off blankets or at a sutler...most there have been in it for awhile an are thinnin out their "stuff" first one I went to I coulda outfitted myself with everything needed and still have 2 arms an 2 legs! :haha: :thumbsup:

Woods Dweller said:
Do you buy camp gear, leather,tinwear,clothing....Ect..] at Rendezvous, or do you use mail order?
Do you save buying at Rendezvous, compared to having to pay for shipping? Or is it the same price because your still paying for the product to get to Rendezvous?

Something like a colonial market fair or a large rondy will bring out a good selection of vendors. Seeing items in person is the best way to judge quality. Sometimes I buy from vendors at events & sometimes I order custom work/sizes from them after checking out what kind of work they can do. As to bargins, the trade blankets are generally the best deals - just remember that there is a reason that people are selling their surplus gear. Outgrown, = good deal for you. Unloading incorrect stuff = bad deal for you (unless it is correct for your period & not theirs).

More then one 'vous I have been to I have heard tales of a green horn pilgrim who come to the first event, walk down traders row and get everything they need. :grin: I agree with Wolf that I make everything I can. I have been lucky to associated with some, hmmmm, mature men who have buckskinning since William Ashley was in business. :shocked2: I like to stay tradition and do business face to face, but I figure that you can get good prices online.

Woods Dweller said:

I make most (99.9%) of my stuff, and tend to buy things I can't find elsewhere at events. I like to see/feel/smell the things I buy. Just go with an informed mind and buy only things you need that fit your persona. Don't rely on the vendors to have done the research for you, because you'll end up with stuff you don't really need or isn't right....

Since I do civil war reenacting. I buy from several places. Online, on site sutlers, and most forums like this one has a buy sell area. Personally If I see something for sale in the classified section of a forum the first question I ask myself is this-- HOw long has he been a member of the forum? Did he join just to toss some items in the classifieds? If he has only a couple of posts is he just a scammer--you send money he sends no product, or it's not whats represented.
And like others I like to touch feel and inspect what I am buying. But I do consider the reputation I have had with the online sutlers who I have seen in person at events.

Back