• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn Help.........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of epoxy that will remain soft enough to run a die down?
I’ve used epoxy for a variety of repairs and new projects. When fully cured, you can sand it, file it, or whatever, although it will clog a file pretty quickly. It does not get as hard as most metals. It is like a hard plastic, or horn. If you build that horn tip up with epoxy, you can file it down to the right diameter and then thread it with a standard die. You will likely need to card your file a few times during the process, though.

Notchy Bob

I’ve used epoxy for a variety of repairs and new projects. When fully cured, you can sand it, file it, or whatever, although it will clog a file pretty quickly. It does not get as hard as most metals. It is like a hard plastic, or horn. If you build that horn tip up with epoxy, you can file it down to the right diameter and then thread it with a standard die. You will likely need to card your file a few times during the process, though.

Notchy Bob
Thank you for the information. That's what I plan on doing.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to the thread with good ideas. I appreciate it.

This all sounds of experience. Make the horn a nice wall hanged. Make a new one in the same style. When you start to repair others work you can run into problems.

and make a wood extension with a plug.
Or, make a wooden cap, like the large end cap. Make it with the same kind of wood, and the same finish and detailing. It can stand proud of the horn, like the end cap does.

Picture a cookie that is bigger than the small end of the horn, with a hole in the center.
Extend necks (tubes?) of wood on both sides of the cookie that will connect to the horn and to the spout.
Connect the horn and spout to the inside or outside of the wood necks, as you see fit.

Be sure to show us photos of your finished work!

Well guys, my trusty old powder horn that I've had since 1981 is about had it. The threads where the push button spout screws on are worn down to nothing. I put it on Hospice by using tread tape in an attempt to prolong its life but its getting to where I'm afraid its going to fall off at any time while I'm pouring powder. I'm not seeing any way to redo the treads because one side of the horn is simply worn away.

So, my question for some of you fellas that's made your own powder horns, is there a way to reuse all the other items on the horn like the end cap, as well as brads and the brackets where the strap hooks to? What all might I need to build up a new one?

I've seen on some web sites raw bull horns that can be built up into a powder horn.
Look around in the plumbing section of your local hardware store. Take the brass tip with you. You may find something that can be matched up and can be screwed , pinned, and/or glued; or soldered to the end of your powderhorn after it is shortened or otherwise modified.
I love to repurpose brass or copper plumbing parts!

Have you thought of perhaps finding another horn that matches the one you have, cut off a length of the new horn to where it fits over the original horn, heat the new piece and slide it firmly over the old horn neck, let cool taking the shape of the original horn, then epoxy gluing the two pieces together, re cut and thread the new end to accept the original measure. You could even file a scalloped edge on the new piece prior to attaching it. Just thinking how I might fix this. The fix would be similar to what Larry of Omaha done.

Now that's an idea. I had pondered on that some but didn't know what I could use to do such. The only problem is the threads are on the outside of the horn and inside of the spout.
I've got a push button spout on my desk. Took it off a new horn a while back because I don't use them. I always make a plug from the tip of a deer antler and secure it with a leather wang. This spout is threaded on the outside and made to screw into the horn. Yours if you want it.

I've got a push button spout on my desk. Took it off a new horn a while back because I don't use them. I always make a plug from the tip of a deer antler and secure it with a leather wang. This spout is threaded on the outside and made to screw into the horn. Yours if you want it.
My apologies, I was wrong. I was thinking the spout I have screwed in. Went out to check and it does not screw in. Apparently pressed in or something??? I'm not a spout expert, since I don't use them, so they are fairly unfamiliar to me. Either way, I 'll attach a picture. The walls look just thick enough that it might could be threaded on the outside, then you could lop off the very tip of yours and screw it in. I was hoping I was right but was not. Still, if it can help you at all it is yours. Good luck with it and I wish I could be of more help.

Attachments

• IMG_20230807_211315133.jpg
    IMG_20230807_211315133.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I believe this horn can be saved and put back into service. would be a good project.

Up to Etipp isn't it, when I read how thin part of the Horn wall is; thats when I made the comment I did.
How would you replace/repair a thin walled Powder Horn ? Consider how long that Horn will last with further field use.

Up to Etipp isn't it, when I read how thin part of the Horn wall is; thats when I made the comment I did.
How would you replace/repair a thin walled Powder Horn ? Consider how long that Horn will last with further field use.
Read post # 31, yes, it's his horn and he can do fix it however he wants; it was just a suggestion on a possible repair. Maybe some JB weld is called for, it seems to have a following around here. I do think if one took some time with a repair as suggested it would last just as long as any other repaired horn.

Read post # 31, yes, it's his horn and he can do fix it however he wants; it was just a suggestion on a possible repair. Maybe some JB weld is called for, it seems to have a following around here. I do think if one took some time with a repair as suggested it would last just as long as any other repaired horn.

Possibly so, my reply wasnt meant to confronting or argumentative.

Latest posts

Back