• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn Help.........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well guys, my trusty old powder horn that I've had since 1981 is about had it. The threads where the push button spout screws on are worn down to nothing. I put it on Hospice by using tread tape in an attempt to prolong its life but its getting to where I'm afraid its going to fall off at any time while I'm pouring powder. I'm not seeing any way to redo the treads because one side of the horn is simply worn away.

So, my question for some of you fellas that's made your own powder horns, is there a way to reuse all the other items on the horn like the end cap, as well as brads and the brackets where the strap hooks to? What all might I need to build up a new one?

I've seen on some web sites raw bull horns that can be built up into a powder horn.

Attachments

• IMG_1405.jpeg
    IMG_1405.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I don't know a lot about the subject but I've taken interest in building one of my own. I'm curious if you could cut it back just a bit to get to thicker material and then install a threaded liner to accept your spout. Like I said I don't know much but it seems like it would work. Even if you had to talk to a custom machinist who could use Brass stock and build it to specs.

Do you have a tap in the same size as the threads? If so, mix some wood dust, horn dust or other small particulate matter with epoxy or super glue, apply and let set. Drill and retap and your trusty powder horn is fixed.
Now that's an idea. I had pondered on that some but didn't know what I could use to do such. The only problem is the threads are on the outside of the horn and inside of the spout.

I don't know a lot about the subject but I've taken interest in building one of my own. I'm curious if you could cut it back just a bit to get to thicker material and then install a threaded liner to accept your spout. Like I said I don't know much but it seems like it would work. Even if you had to talk to a custom machinist who could use Brass stock and build it to specs.
Good thought. I've also given that some thought and briefly looked it over but haven't established if its doable or not.

Can you show some close-up pictures of the horn with the brass tip removed? Depending on how much solid horn material remains at the tip, you may be able to re-shape it as a simple, traditional horn without the brass valve.

A lot of professionally-made horns long ago had applied tips, turned out of a separate piece of horn or possibly antler. These were frequently made to screw off, although I’m pretty sure some were permanently fastened. You may be able to salvage your horn that way.

The expensive part of making a horn is the labor. While that brass valved tip you have could be easily repurposed on a new horn, I honestly believe it would not be worthwhile to “cannibalize” any other parts from your old horn. If it were mine, and I really wanted that valve, I would build (or have built) a new horn, and devote some creative energy to repairing the old one. You’ll end up with two horns that way, but I would think the average muzzle-loading shooter probably has more than one. I have three that I’ve had for years (not counting two or three I have given away), and just finished a new one last week.

More pictures would be appreciated!

Notchy Bob

I would save this one for all the good memories you had while using it and make yourself a new one. Just takes some time and a couple of simple tools to make a basic horn and it is an enjoyable activity.

Now if you want to make really nice horns like Pathfinder you will need some practice:thumb:

Well guys, my trusty old powder horn that I've had since 1981 is about had it. The threads where the push button spout screws on are worn down to nothing. I put it on Hospice by using tread tape in an attempt to prolong its life but its getting to where I'm afraid its going to fall off at any time while I'm pouring powder. I'm not seeing any way to redo the treads because one side of the horn is simply worn away.

So, my question for some of you fellas that's made your own powder horns, is there a way to reuse all the other items on the horn like the end cap, as well as brads and the brackets where the strap hooks to? What all might I need to build up a new one?

I've seen on some web sites raw bull horns that can be built up into a powder horn.

I made my first horn in the 70s but has a fiddle peg for a plug. After some years the end split out. No problem, I just whacked the end off and put on a wood end out of curly maple. Still using it today. Way easier than making a whole new horn.
Larry

IMG_5864.jpeg

Clean up the horn tip and inside of the valve with solvent and epoxy the valve onto the horn permanently, being careful not to get any epoxy up inside the valve. Fill the valve through the spout with a funnel.

Option two is do as above but use an acid brush or Q-tip to thoroughly coat the threads and whole inside cavity of the valve tip with paste wax to prevent stickage. Cast new threads, in other words. Clean out all the wax with brake cleaner and compressed air or it will never pour again.

Option three, since the tip is so long and narrow, is cut off the bad threads and re-thread it to fit the tip.

I made my first horn with brass screws holding the butt plug in so it could be filled. Silly me, I didn't realize that even 2F will pour through a 1/4" hole quite well. Since then I fill all my horns through the spout, holding a brass funnel butted up to the spout or taped in place with electrical tape to prevent spills. Takes about two minutes to pour half a pound of powder into a horn, no big deal.

I would call that more of a flask made with horn. However, the approach I would take would be to cut off he horn where the threads are an issue and make a wood extension with a plug. They you would have a genuine powder horn.

Can you show some close-up pictures of the horn with the brass tip removed? Depending on how much solid horn material remains at the tip, you may be able to re-shape it as a simple, traditional horn without the brass valve.

A lot of professionally-made horns long ago had applied tips, turned out of a separate piece of horn or possibly antler. These were frequently made to screw off, although I’m pretty sure some were permanently fastened. You may be able to salvage your horn that way.

The expensive part of making a horn is the labor. While that brass valved tip you have could be easily repurposed on a new horn, I honestly believe it would not be worthwhile to “cannibalize” any other parts from your old horn. If it were mine, and I really wanted that valve, I would build (or have built) a new horn, and devote some creative energy to repairing the old one. You’ll end up with two horns that way, but I would think the average muzzle-loading shooter probably has more than one. I have three that I’ve had for years (not counting two or three I have given away), and just finished a new one last week.

Notchy Bob
Sure thing, Bob. I'll post a pic shortly.

Clean up the horn tip and inside of the valve with solvent and epoxy the valve onto the horn permanently, being careful not to get any epoxy up inside the valve. Fill the valve through the spout with a funnel.

Option two is do as above but use an acid brush or Q-tip to thoroughly coat the threads and whole inside cavity of the valve tip with paste wax to prevent stickage. Cast new threads, in other words. Clean out all the wax with brake cleaner and compressed air or it will never pour again.

Option three, since the tip is so long and narrow, is cut off the bad threads and re-thread it to fit the tip.

I made my first horn with brass screws holding the butt plug in so it could be filled. Silly me, I didn't realize that even 2F will pour through a 1/4" hole quite well. Since then I fill all my horns through the spout, holding a brass funnel butted up to the spout or taped in place with electrical tape to prevent spills. Takes about two minutes to pour half a pound of powder into a horn, no big deal.
Interesting. I am sure the cause of the worn out threads is due to having to remove the spout to refill.

I would call that more of a flask made with horn. However, the approach I would take would be to cut off he horn where the threads are an issue and make a wood extension with a plug. They you would have a genuine powder horn.
I have another powder horn I inherited a few years ago with a plug in the end. Its smaller but okay. However, I would like to save this one due to owning it for so many years. Kind of like an old friend, ya know. Its been with me through all my ML years from beginning to now. I just cannot let it die if I can save it. At the very least, save all the parts to build another one.

I am sure this one was made in the 70's, if not prior.

Notchy Bob
Here’s some pics

Attachments

• IMG_1407.jpeg
    IMG_1407.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1409.jpeg
    IMG_1409.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back