• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifled Musket Patent Breeches.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone out there tell me what the inside/bore diameter of the historically incorrect antechamber is that the Italians insist on using in their percussion rifled muskets?
I don't like them at all, but was considering ordering a Lorenz .54 Rifled Musket from Pedersoli, and have been watching for a deal on an Armi-Sport Springfield .58 copy.

In my previous post I was feferring to the Patent Breech the Italians use on almost all their muzzleloading guns now.

None of the reproduction Civil War rifle-muskets I'm aware of use a patent breech. These include Springfields, Zouaves, Mississippies and I'm not sure about the Pederosoli Lorenz as I haven't seen one yet. The Armi-Sports definitely use a flat face breech plug. The only CW barrels with an antechamber I know of were the ones made by Numrich and I've used 2 and have another mint one set aside for the future. Never had a moment's trouble because of the breech design.

I don't know of any Civil War repros with a patent breech either. I know none of mine have had them, I have had Pedersoli, Armi sport and Zoli.

None of the reproduction Civil War rifle-muskets I'm aware of use a patent breech. These include Springfields, Zouaves, Mississippies and I'm not sure about the Pederosoli Lorenz as I haven't seen one yet. The Armi-Sports definitely use a flat face breech plug. The only CW barrels with an antechamber I know of were the ones made by Numrich and I've used 2 and have another mint one set aside for the future. Never had a moment's trouble because of the breech design.

The reason I don't like them is that they make a somewhat troublesome cleaning process even moreso.

The reason I don't like them is that they make a somewhat troublesome cleaning process even moreso.

Remove the nipple and take the barrel out of the stock, less than 1 minute, tools needed; 1 screwdriver and 1 nipple wrench. Stand the barrel in a bucket of warm soapy water and clean with patch or a bore swab, this will flush the antechamber and flame passage clean without the need to go into it using a dedicated jag. Dry and oil the bore, reinstall the barrel and nipple. Faster and easier than cleaning a long rifle with a pinned barrel.

Remove the nipple and take the barrel out of the stock, less than 1 minute, tools needed; 1 screwdriver and 1 nipple wrench. Stand the barrel in a bucket of warm soapy water and clean with patch or a bore swab, this will flush the antechamber and flame passage clean without the need to go into it using a dedicated jag. Dry and oil the bore, reinstall the barrel and nipple. Faster and easier than cleaning a long rifle with a pinned barrel.

I was more concerned with cleaning in the field.

I used a special nipple and hose arrangement to suck water in and out of bore. Really hot soapy water and super hot rinse does the job along with care in not getting water where it doesn't belong. Careful oiling completes the deal.

Latest posts

Back