• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli's M1854 Lorenz Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the nipple thread, but I do know that it is the standard nipple that they use on all of their muskets and rifle muskets.

LOP appears to be 13.75 from trigger to heal of butt.
Actually, Pedersoli lists three different nipples for their muskets with three different thread sizes and pitches in their catalog.

For the Enfield, Cook and Brother and Volunteer (and Lorentz): (M8x1.25)
https://shop.davide-pedersoli.com/e...ples-for-enfield-cook-brothers-volunteer.html
For the Mississippi, Richmond and Springfield: (M8x1)
https://shop.davide-pedersoli.com/e...issippi-richmond-springfield-1861-zouave.html
For the Württembergischen: (5/16 - UNF)
https://shop.davide-pedersoli.com/e...-3-nipples-wurttembergischen-musket-caps.html

'Austrian Enfield' I have a Wantzl conversion ile measure the L O P for you later, a rim fire but made cases , bores good, the basic rifle isn't up to Enfield but still a nice rifle if heavy due to the Beech stock. For the Wilkinson Lorenze bullet watch 'cap& balls' video he makes his talk .
Regards Rudyard

Do any of you folks own one of these?

View attachment 153480

This thread is specifically concerned with the Pedersoli M1854 Lorenz replica, not the originals or the other Italian remakes. I believe Pedersoli rolled this one out in 2017, or thereabouts. I'm not seriously considering getting one of these. Not yet, anyway. Budgetary and space restraints, you know. However, I do have a couple of questions.

First, what is the length of pull? Dixie Gun works is normally pretty good about providing this measurement in their product descriptions, but they didn't for this one. I am short of stature by today's standards, but probably about average for the 18th or early 19th century. Born out of season, I guess, but in any event, a lot of the modern production made muzzleloaders are too long in the pull for me to shoot comfortably. Most originals, on the other hand, fit pretty well. In measuring the photograph and doing a simple calculation based on the known barrel length (37"), I get 13.94 inches.

The next questions are about the nipple. What is the thread size and pitch on the nipple for this rifle, and does it use a standard musket cap? I have seen a couple of close-up photos which seem to show a smaller-diameter cone, as if the nipple was intended for regular sporting caps rather than the military-styled musket caps, but I can't be sure.

I'm interested in hearing from people who are familiar with this rifle. I’m not so interested in suggestions for other places to ask. I have contacted a couple of dealers who have not responded.

I would like to have one of these some day, although I'm not in a rush. The price now is usually around $1,700, more or less. You can still get originals for less than that, although they might need some work. The Pedersoli rifle isn't a perfect replica, either. The most egregious "error" is the American black walnut stock. The originals were stocked in European beech, and I can't think of any logical reason for deviating from this. There are a few other details, but the stock is the big one.

Anyway, if anyone can give definite answers to my questions about the LOP and the nipple on the Pedersoli replica, I would appreciate it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
I bet if you called Customer Service, one of the fellows would know or measure it and get back to you soon. I wonder if they thought American guys would expect a Walnut stock! Most guys don't like beech, being so immersed in good ol' american walnut. Or maybe they just didn't want to work up a new source for a wood they hadn't worked on before. Is beech harder to machine and finish? They brought this musket out a little late as the CW enacting was cooling off a bit as many older enactors left the 'field' so to speak. The Enfield replica was completely de-farbed, sinking many of the small cottage industry shops that did the de-farbing. You'd think they would have researched the Lorenze better. It so resembles the American muskets, maybe only the re-enactors portraying a specific Lorenze-armed regiment would care. Boy the muskets are up to around the two grand mark anylonger! I recall when they were under one grand! Good luck!

Do any of you folks own one of these?

View attachment 153480

This thread is specifically concerned with the Pedersoli M1854 Lorenz replica, not the originals or the other Italian remakes. I believe Pedersoli rolled this one out in 2017, or thereabouts. I'm not seriously considering getting one of these. Not yet, anyway. Budgetary and space restraints, you know. However, I do have a couple of questions.

First, what is the length of pull? Dixie Gun works is normally pretty good about providing this measurement in their product descriptions, but they didn't for this one. I am short of stature by today's standards, but probably about average for the 18th or early 19th century. Born out of season, I guess, but in any event, a lot of the modern production made muzzleloaders are too long in the pull for me to shoot comfortably. Most originals, on the other hand, fit pretty well. In measuring the photograph and doing a simple calculation based on the known barrel length (37"), I get 13.94 inches.

The next questions are about the nipple. What is the thread size and pitch on the nipple for this rifle, and does it use a standard musket cap? I have seen a couple of close-up photos which seem to show a smaller-diameter cone, as if the nipple was intended for regular sporting caps rather than the military-styled musket caps, but I can't be sure.

I'm interested in hearing from people who are familiar with this rifle. I’m not so interested in suggestions for other places to ask. I have contacted a couple of dealers who have not responded.

I would like to have one of these some day, although I'm not in a rush. The price now is usually around $1,700, more or less. You can still get originals for less than that, although they might need some work. The Pedersoli rifle isn't a perfect replica, either. The most egregious "error" is the American black walnut stock. The originals were stocked in European beech, and I can't think of any logical reason for deviating from this. There are a few other details, but the stock is the big one.

Anyway, if anyone can give definite answers to my questions about the LOP and the nipple on the Pedersoli replica, I would appreciate it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Mfgrs. try to use the most standardized sizes of things they can.

According to the Dixie Gun Works 2022 printed catalog, page 35, the length of pull for the Lorenz rifle is listed as 13 3/4". However the catalog shows an incorrect listing for nipple size- 1/4 x 28.

In researching Pedersoli illustrated parts breakdowns, Grenadier1758 is correct on nipple interchangeability. Pedersoli uses four musket nipple sizes. 8 x 1, 8 x 1.25, 1/4 x 28, 5/16 x 24. 8 x 1.25 should be the correct nipple for the Lorenz.
A lot on the measurements and weights given in the DGW are wrong.
For example, they list most of their percussion revolvers as having the exact same weight, regardless of style or caliber.
None of the technical information has been updated or changed for over 40 years.

Back