• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RIFLE TWISTS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JOHN L. HINNANT said:
H.E. Resley Barrel.

1" ACTF Octagon x 36" lONG 50 Caliber

John L. Hinnant

Mr. Hinnant, What is the rate of twist on your .50 cal. rifle? Maybe I missed it, if so please excuse this question. Good shootin' BTW.
Don

You did not miss it.

I am waiting to see those T-C, CVA, etc., 1-48", shallow groove, .010" under size ball targets, that are just as good as the ones I posted.

John L. Hinnant

And for those that dont know how good/bad John shoots....he's most likely sandbagging on these..( holding back just a tad that is) :grin: Thank you John for showing us how it is done, lets see some others shoot a close to or better set of targets, me thinks we'll be waiting awhile. One pic is worth a 1000 words and John has shared a lot of hard learned tips with us , read and learn, you dont get this good talking about it, if he tells you try this you can bet the farm he has and many more ways to share what works with us . Thank you John. Fred :hatsoff:

Hey Fred you are most likely right I told him to shoot those things off the bench and he insisted in offhanding them.

rabbit03

PS I told him!

Hey John, did that rocklock's arcin' and sparkin' have you jumpin' and jerkin'? :winking:

JOHN L. HINNANT said:
No.

John L. Hinnant

John ... we knowed you wuz feelin feebly those days ... to shoot so poorly. :hmm: :shocked2:

Davy

Davey-Sean Connery's quote "Thus ENDETH THE LESSON"...Nice shooting John...Respectfully Montanadan(got kinda QUIET,huh?)

Davey-Sean Connery's quote "Thus ENDETH THE LESSON"...Nice shooting John...Respectfully Montanadan(got kinda QUIET,huh?)

Did this turn into let's see if we can beat John's shooting? Well I couldn't do that with my centerfire rifles. Fantastic shooting John H!

Wasn't the question what is considered fast twist vs slow twist? Bit open ended question. Maybe implied in the question is what is the best twist for shooting roundballs or maybe can a 1:48 shoot roundballs.

I been only shooting M/L since last Oct. I have a T/C Hawkins 50 cal Caplock 1:48. When I respond to the question about 1:48 twist, all I state is that shooting Bench-rest at 50 yards I have no problems getting 3 shots in 2 inch groups. For me that is good enough for my needs (hunting and casual target shooting). Pictures ... sorry will have to wait until the weather gets a bit warmer and I get to the range again. But if I am the type of person that would lie about what I am writing than what is to stop me from putting the target at 10 yards and getting sub 1 inch groups and posting the pictures as 50 yards targets?
So I'll post my picture once I get chance to get to the range, but please don't compare them with John H's shooting :grin: I could use the same gun as he did and never shoot that good.

MWindy-I could not shoot that good with John's rifle and a month of practice but I have just as much fun...Heck I even crack myself up...Be safe,and good shooting...Respectfully Montanadan

Hey Ive been shooting MLs many years and cant come close to John and the Brady Bunch but Ive learned a lot from John and them. Fred :hatsoff:

fw-I just thanked John L. again,and I do pay attention to what he says(my mom would not believe it,that I pay attention).Roundball has some excellent post's on shallow rifled 1:48 twists..Both have improved my groups....Respectfully Montanadan

mwindy said:
but I have just as much fun...Heck I even crack myself up

:thumbsup: Well said!

Dont feel by your lonesome amigo ... I cannot even approach that kind of shooting! :cursing: John is an accomplished shooter who has a number of awards to his name. Not to mention about 50 years of experince. And believe me when I tell you that he takes all of it VERY seriously. Fact is for many of us that kind of accuracy is a pipe dream, but for competitive shooters it is in fact a necessity.

I think one of the main issues here about round ball accuracy and rifle twist in general is that there are many factors that enter into the equation ... barrel length, twist, depth and type of groove, quality of make and bore. The list goes on. Not the mention a persons skill, experince and talent.

Money spent on training, equipment, and shooting cost for weapons, and materials, also plays a bigger part than many here would like to admit! (I am in this money concious group! :cursing: )

That being said, also we must consider what makes your stick float ... in other words, what level of accuracy are you willing to settle for? An occassional shooter is apt to settle for a lower level of accuracy for a Saturday's informal shootfest, whereas a competitve shooter aims alot higher for better accuracy, and so spends the time effort, and energy to climb that steep mountain.

Davy

Davey-Nice post.I am also financially challenged.I do not own any custom rifles,so I have to run what I Brung.However,there is still things that will improve accuracy,no matter what kind of muzzeloader you shoot...That's why I enjoy this forum so much,as well as the folk's in it...Respectfully Montanadan

"Can your 1-48" T-C do this..."

Interesting question, but, I think the vast majority of the members here have found the 2 inch group which many 1-48 twist T-C and Tradition muzzleloaders are fully capable of producing at 50 yards is enough to "meat" their needs. :grin: :grin: :)

call me what you whatever challenged ya want, but if I can't shoot better than that with my little cheapie traditions, I'm not shooting well

JOHN L. HINNANT said:
You did not miss it.

I am waiting to see those T-C, CVA, etc., 1-48", shallow groove, .010" under size ball targets, that are just as good as the ones I posted.

So when did this become a contest? Can't you just share the information without making people jump though your competitive hoops?

Okay, you're the best. There, now will you share? :shake:

fw said:
And for those that dont know how good/bad John shoots....he's most likely sandbagging on these..( holding back just a tad that is) :grin: Thank you John for showing us how it is done, lets see some others shoot a close to or better set of targets, me thinks we'll be waiting awhile. One pic is worth a 1000 words and John has shared a lot of hard learned tips with us , read and learn, you dont get this good talking about it, if he tells you try this you can bet the farm he has and many more ways to share what works with us . Thank you John. Fred :hatsoff:

Geez, now we have a fan club forum. (or the same guy posting under two different names) :rotf:

Back