• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RIFLE TWISTS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ONEYEDIK

32 Cal.
Reaction score
WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE AS TO WHAT IS FAST TWIST TO WHAT IS SLOW ?????????NEW TO ALL THE DIFFERENT BARREL TWISTS.....USED TO BE PUT IN THE RB AND GO TO TOWN....

If you want to shoot round balls, a 1:66 is the correct twist. 1:48 and faster is specifically for conicals.

Swampman said:
If you want to shoot round balls, a 1:66 is the correct twist. 1:48 and faster is specifically for conicals.

I cannot totally agree with you on this.
I shoot 1:60 twist for roundball.
I also have 1:48 twist rifles that do not shoot conicals worth a hoot but they are great roundball shooters.
I would say 1:48 and slower for roundball and up to 1:28 for conical.
Just my opinion gathered from my personal shooting experience.

HD

Twist depends entirely upon what you are shooting. That includes caliber. So, a 1:66 twist is not one-size-fits-all for round ball, just around a fifty caliber.

I've found 1:66 works well in a .54. I had a 1:56 Colerain .54 caliber barrel that was very accurate. I had a Sharon .50 barrel that was 1:60 that seemed good. IMO and experience, 1:48 is just too fast and finiky for consistent round ball accuracy in hunting situations.

I depends on the caliber... 1-48 is an all around twist and is about right for calibers 40 and 45. Higher calibers need a slow 1-66 or slower ... Smaller calibers need faster than 1-48, problem is getting anyone other than Rayl to do it for you.

It all has to do with mass. Larger objects need less spin to become stable compare to smaller objects. Think of the earth compared to a top.

ONEYEDIK said:
WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE AS TO WHAT IS FAST TWIST TO WHAT IS SLOW ?????????NEW TO ALL THE DIFFERENT BARREL TWISTS.....USED TO BE PUT IN THE RB AND GO TO TOWN....

1:48" and 1:66" both shoot PRB very well...the caliber itself, along with the best patch/ball combo for that caliber & twist, and the powder charge used...are all factors in getting any of them to shoot their best...as someone mentioned there is not a one size fits all answer.

Beware of any occasional post you may see here or on any Internet forum stating that 1:48" twists don't shoot PRBs well...that's an old wives tale often repeated by folks who lack actual hands on experience in load development and don't actually know what they're talking about...you can take it to the bank, 1:48's shoot PRB's extremely well.

:thumbsup:

I guess T/C doesn't know what they are talking about and lack experience. They designed the 1:48 Maxiball barrel, and everyone else copied them unfortunately for traditional shooters.

Swampman said:
I guess T/C doesn't know what they are talking about and lack experience. They designed the 1:48 Maxiball barrel, and everyone else copied them unfortunately for traditional shooters.
You're joking, right?
:confused:

It's called sarcasm. The 1:48 barrels can serve many uses. Propping windows up, staking tomatos, electric fence post, jack handles. I have a pipe tomahawk forged from one.

Swampman said:
It's called sarcasm. The 1:48 barrels can serve many uses. Propping windows up, staking tomatos, electric fence post, jack handles. I have a pipe tomahawk forged from one.

I bet my 1:48 will shoot roundballs just as good as your 1:66 any day of the week.
Inline barrels are used for staking tomatos :shake:
:rotf:

BTW, ask White Buffalo how a 1:48 shoots. He won one of our offhand shooting competitions with a 1:48 :hatsoff:

HD

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
for that you get to take TWO attaboys out of petty cash.

I agree completly! However,It appears that 1/48 is not as forgiving as a much slower twist.IMHO

Neither, It's not drilled for smoking and it's too expensive to throw. These cheap fast twist barrels can be made into handy stuff. :rotf:

ONEYEDIK: As you may have noticed, a very few people have a very strong dislike for the 1:48 twist, especially if it is made by Thompson Center.
Obviously, not everyone agrees with this as many people can get very good accuracy with their factory bought 1:48 twist guns.

The suitablity for round balls seems to be a function of the depth of the rifleing as much as the rate of twist.
Roundballs with patches seem to like deep grooves while the conical bullets prefer the shallow grooves. This seems to be especially true if very hot loads are used.

As to best twist? For Patched roundballs, .50 cal and above, the slower twists from 1:48 to 1:70 seem to work best.
For conical bullets twists faster than 1;32 seem to work well although one should remember the Enfield Rifle used in the Civil War had a very slow twist and shot the Minie' bullets very well.

Is there any written rules about this? Not to my knowledge. :)

I suppose the fact that a smoothbore can shoot as accurately as any twist gives some room for ponderment. My old trade gun beat 38 rifle shooters once upon a time. Except for 2 misfires related to the soft frizzen, I would have beat the other 2.

My .50 cal Lyman Deerstalker with the 1 in 48" twist shoots round balls good enough to win several first places in shoots over the past 14 years, and provided me with a huge amount of venison. I don't think the 1 in 66" barrel on my Austin and Halleck shoots balls any better than the Deerstalker.

Latest posts

Back