• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue River

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What are the Rifle stock that fasten to a cap and ball revolver called and does anyone know who sells them ? Thank You!

Sam Colt was a great believer in shoulder stocks to be used with his pistols.

Starting with the 2nd Model Dragoon, he offered them for the 3rd Model Dragoon, the 1851 Navy and the 1860 Army.

Several different attachment methods were used, the 1860 Army having the "4 screw frame".

This "4 screw" frame is often reproduced by the Italians. The "4th screw" being a fillister head screw located on both sides of the frame.
A cutout is milled into the frames grip on the bottom towards the rear.

The stocks made by Colt were even offered in a canteen style so the user could carry some sort of refreshment with him. :grin:

An original Colt stock can be worth almost as much as the guns it was made for if it is in excellent un-modified condition.

Of course, that's now.
During the war although over 50,000 pistols were made to use the stocks they were not popular with the troops.

That seems to be because even with a stock, a pistol is of limited value at distant ranges.
Also, the modern shooter who has tried these stocks on their reproduction guns found the same thing that the soldiers of the war found.

You cannot have your support hand ahead of the front of the cylinder without exposing it to flame or fragment damage.
The rear of the pistol is very close to your face and the flames and cap fragments from the fired chamber can damage your face.

If you get one and you intend on shooting it, remember don't put your hand in front of the cylinder. It kinda feels like you should but don't ever.

You can try this method, I was told by an old timer--use the loading lever as a foregrip, it also helps steady the pistol besides getting your hand out of the way. Just unclip it bend it down and there ya be.

I would not use the loading level to steady hold.
In case of chain fire you would have a bullet pushing it up agaist the barrel. :nono:

Martin

yep.I had a chain fire with the bottom most cylinder going off with the the main charge. It wedged up against the loading lever.

p

Seems to me that I saw one where the front trigger guard screw was replaced with a vertical grip, Or maybe that was on a Remmy carbine.
Jon D

One should just take a normal two hand hold like shooting a modern handgun. Both hands together.

SStock01Large.jpg

SStock02Large.jpg

SStock03Large.jpg

SStock04Large.jpg

SStock05Large.jpg

If you would like the full size images PM me with your e-mail addy.

The addition of a shoulder stock can have a major improvement in your accuracy. Your able to pull the stock into your shoulder and hold a very steady sight picture. I use a two hand hold on the grip and other than the hammer being closer to your face it's no big deal. I prefer to shoot them myself.

rcarbine01.jpg

Back