• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FF in a six gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently acquired quite a bit of FF gunpowder, wondering if it works all right in a revolver that usually takes around 30 grains ,

I've used fff in 50 and 54 caliber rifle with balls up to around 220 grain, but have never used the rifle shotgun in a cap and ball revolver although I used to load it in cartridges of birdshot rounds in a centerfire revolver

Wondering if anybody has ever used f f ina handgun other than the big Walker hourse pistol ?

2f works just fine in revolvers. Not sure why or how but I've gotten the best accuracy out of 90 plus percent of my revolvers using 2f.

I have not used it but per above, reports by those who have say it works fine (pun?)

It might be a bit iffy at colder temps but possibly not.

Good to know as I can grab some 2F next time. So far I have not had much success with other than the old ASP accuracy wise.

It might be a bit iffy at colder temps but possibly not
In the middle of making dinner, don't have time to fully respond, but for now...
I-Am-Gonna-Have-To-Stop-You-Right-There-Funny-Bear-Meme-Image.jpg

You might explain your reasoning rather than just post a stupid picture.

Cold affects ignition and a Cap is not nearly as reliable as a primer. Open ignition in a chamber less so than a contained cartdige. I have seen slow kaboom for whatever reasons as it gets colder.

Ya don't think cold affects ignition, dry to start a diesel when its cold (or a gasoline engine if its cold enough)

Used quite a bit of FF over the years in Remington .44 and 1860 Colt .44 revolvers. In just casual plinking and shooting tin cans, etc. could not tell any difference from 3F.

I am just starting down this BP road of adventure. I do have a Labradar so I can do some comparison between 777 3F and Pyrodex (no black powder to be had these days).

A lot of variables so I doubt its going to be definitive though the average may show a bit lower.

I started with the 3F loads as that was recommended and can go from there.

Last edited:
Recently acquired quite a bit of FF gunpowder, wondering if it works all right in a revolver that usually takes around 30 grains ,

I've used fff in 50 and 54 caliber rifle with balls up to around 220 grain, but have never used the rifle shotgun in a cap and ball revolver although I used to load it in cartridges of birdshot rounds in a centerfire revolver

Wondering if anybody has ever used f f ina handgun other than the big Walker hourse pistol ?
If it fits, it’s used. Personally, have used from 1F to 4F over the years. No discrimination here, though I do have preferences.

You might explain your reasoning rather than just post a stupid picture.

Cold affects ignition and a Cap is not nearly as reliable as a primer. Open ignition in a chamber less so than a contained cartdige. I have seen slow kaboom for whatever reasons as it gets colder.

Ya don't think cold affects ignition, dry to start a diesel when its cold (or a gasoline engine if its cold enough)
First, this is a muzzleloader site, why bring up primers, cartridges and engines.

Second, after loading properly cleaned revolvers and percussion rifles, i have literally spent thousands of hours in temps down to 30 below, and they all went bang. Without hesitation.

Third, in your first post you said you never used it, but in your third post, you said you used quite a bit. So........ which one is it?

Fourth, if you're experiencing a slow kaboom in cold weather, ya might want to try to get some real black and maybe check your cleaning technique. Not trying to be a smart a##, just a suggestion.

Lastly, as a 30 plus year professional mechanic, there's a huge difference between cold dense air and fuel ignition compared to hot flash/fire and dry powder.

We are going to disagree on points, I don't care for the picture as it adds nothing to the discussion. Always happy to find I am wrong, its all a learning experience. The picture tells me nothing about why I am wrong.

I cannot get Black Powder. Its a fact of life up here and the charges to ship something up here for any powder is impossible to afford. I have to shoot what I can get and the substitute black powders are rated the same as Smokeless and they can ship those in smokeless powder orders (more or less they can ship XXXX pounds on a barge).

No barge space and it goes through Canada via ground as they can't ship by air.

Good question on Percussion Caps is why they can ship in tins all in contact while Primers are in special boxes?

Chemical reactions do slow down in cold. I don't know if what I have seen is cold related or not, just noted as something to consider.

As for 2F use, that was a quote from you that I failed to make it a quote item. I have only been at this for maybe 6 months and only have used 3F types and never in Black Powder as I can't get it per above.

I've used both 2F and 3F for years in percussion pistols. I would say 2F leaves a bit more fouling but the individual gun will tell you which it prefers.

Latest posts

Back