• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new Traditions Mountain flintlock rifle question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to get some supplies at the local muzzle loader shop, and because I want to see this shop stay in business I had to buy a new gun. That's the kind of giving person I am. 😇 It's a brand new Traditions flintlock Mountain rifle .50, and it's the first new ML I've ever bought. Every ML I bought was used, until today. First thing I did was take it apart to clean, like I do with new unmentionables.
There were two things that surprised me. First, there was not any grease in the lock or trigger system. Second, the barrel seemed to be very dirty. It looked like the gun had been fired, but not cleaned afterward. Is this normal? Was the black stuff that came out on the cleaning patches not BP residue? Was it just grease? The frizzed was unmarked, so I'm assuming it was never fired unless it was part of the proofing process.
I fitted a flint and hope to go to the range tomorrow morning.

Probably a shipping grease? If it cleaned out nicely, nothing to worry about. I can't imagine if it was proof fired that it would not have been cleaned out before packing and shipping.

With the two kits I have assembled, there was no lube on the trigger parts either, but the locks had some kind of silicone grease. The inside of the barrels had a brownish-black coating for rust prevention.

I agree, their frizzen springs are too strong.

I have a Traditions flintlock. I did 2 things to improve the frizzen action. First, I removed the wave washer in the pivot and replaced it with a plain washer for a spacer, as the wave washer created drag. Second, I smoothed the points where the frizzen contacts the spring. Mine had a pronounced casting seam, smoothing it to a proper bearing surface and giving it the proper profile allows the frizzen to snap open like it sh

That’s definitely something I want to do, #JB67.
I don’t know how they finished the metal work. It looks like browning but it’s a flat coat of some sort. I’m thinking of stripping the barrel, trigger guard and butt plate, then applying browning. Has anyone else done that?

Latest posts

Back