• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice for a new ML hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unlike at the range, the first shot is the one that matters. Here's what I do when using a flintlock:

Clean the breech with alcohol or, at a bare minimum, a dry patch to remove any oil before loading.
Start the hunt with a fresh flint, not one I've been shooting at the range & re-knapped.
Drop the cock on the frizzen & get a spark once before I load & prime (pointed in a safe direction, of course).

I've mumbled many choice words after failing to do those 3 things.

If I were to give advice to any sort of muzzleloader hunter it would be to get into the habit of talking to yourself during the loading phase. Say it every time you load, whether it be at home, at the range, or during hunting.

Not a flint fella but for my percussions, its:

1. Powder

2. Tap (the side of the butt stock)

3. Patch

4. Ball

5. *And most important, Run it home, as in seat the ball all the way down.*

IMO, the last one here is most important because its easy to get distracted and forget to seat the ball on the powder charge. That's especially true in the woods during a hunt when reloading, perhaps when trying to get a fast follow up shot or a shot at another critter. If you forget to seat the ball on the powder charge, the results will most likely be less than desirable.

By placing a mark on the ramrod it will help ascertain the ball is seated all the way against the charge. Its a quick and final reference.

I’d say remember - it’s just a rifle. They all require marksmanship. Know your range limitation, use a rest, and FOLLOW THROUGH the shot.

I read here that powder sizes f to fffg have a coating that resists moisture. 4f does not so I now use 3f in my pan as W. PA ia rather damp. Not sure if that info is universal for all powders. Perhaps a knowledgeable soul will chip in. Good luck.

Back