• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rendering lamb fat?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a crock pot for bear fat. Never tried sheep fat, so can only hope that what I do works for you.

Cut fat into small cubes removing all meat, blood, dirt and hair. Add the fat to the crock pot along with 2-3 pints clean water. The water is to prevent scorching the fat causing discoloration during initial heating. It boils off later. I have two crock pots and use the lowest heat setting on both. I start heating around sundown and it is ready to strain and can the next morning. I've found more time at a lower temperature gives a cleaner, whiter grease.

I use a crock pot for bear fat. Never tried sheep fat, so can only hope that what I do works for you.

Cut fat into small cubes removing all meat, blood, dirt and hair. Add the fat to the crock pot along with 2-3 pints clean water. The water is to prevent scorching the fat causing discoloration during initial heating. It boils off later. I have two crock pots and use the lowest heat setting on both. I start heating around sundown and it is ready to strain and can the next morning. I've found more time at a lower temperature gives a cleaner, whiter grease.
Ahh...ok, so low heat is the key. So, are we talking 8-10 hours?
Thanks everybody!

Ahh...ok, so low heat is the key. So, are we talking 8-10 hours?
Thanks everybody!
12-16 hours for me including straining and canning. I do all but the straining and canning on the porch or in the garage as some of the light oils evaporate and end up in the wallpaper or on the walls. SOME wives get a bit perturbed if that happens in HER house. Or so I've heard.

12-16 hours for me including straining and canning. I do all but the straining and canning on the porch or in the garage as some of the light oils evaporate and end up in the wallpaper or on the walls. SOME wives get a bit perturbed if that happens in HER house. Or so I've heard.
Ha! Yeah, I already planned on doing it outside.

Good advise so far, low and slow.
Strain it through an old tee shirt. Want the best?
Let it solidify, clean the cooker, then repeat the process.
Folks today want quick/immediate/easy,
That second rendering will give you the quality that was worked for 100+yrs ago.
Your lucky, I've been after lamb/mutton fat for a long time. There is no butcher within 200 miles of me that has ever processed Hogget.
Today in MN, it's all dairy, beef and cash crops, I haven't seen a sheep on foot since I lived in Douglas, Wyo in the 80's!

I use a crock pot and strain the fat chunks in water. I also have a potato masher I use to mash the fat chunks to help leach out any extra fat. It is strained then rendered again to catch any missed impurities. The last straining gives pure white tallow. I use mutton tallow as a lube when drilling metal. Mutton tallow is also excellent for giving a coating to antique bone handled silverware and antler handled knives. It gives a needed moisture back to the bone to stop the drying out of the bone.
Ohio Rusty ><>

We just butchered a couple sheep and I saved the fat for rendering. Has anybody here rendered lamb fat and have any tips? Thanks
Lamb or mutton fat is a great patch lube, nearly as good as bear fat though it waxes up at a higher temp than bear or coon fat. Mostly I use it on leather including shoes and such.

Back