• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing pinned barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barebackjack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
For all of you out there that shoot longrifles with barrels pinned to the stock,

how often do you remove the barrel? Everytime you clean it, every other time?

Dont you worry about wearing out the holes in the stock removing and replacing pins?

Just wondering

Boone

I have the exact same worry as you.
As a result I don't ever unpin my barrel for cleaning...therefore I clean my muzzleloader with swabs and a breech scraper.

I would suggest that you never remove them unless absolutely necessary. Not necessary for cleaning.

I remove it once a year. Then I give it a really good cleaning, and wax the bottom of the barrel and the barrel channel in the stock with a coat of paste wax. it seals the channel pretty well, and has prevented most rust from the cleaning solution that slops around during the rest of the year.

I have never removed my pinned barrels. I worry about rust forming in the unseen area but then I just think about something else. I am 55 years old and my oldest gun is 5 years old. I figure I will rust out before the gun will.

The LRs that I shoot a lot all have wedges [keys] and the bbl is removed after every shooting session and that contributes to sleeping soundly. A fussy guy has to do what he has to do!....Fred

If and when you do remove them, be sure to get wax on the pins and in the holes when you put them back. A little rust makes big problems, as steel expands in volume by a factor of 20 or so when it rusts. A little rust on the pin will make it really hard to get the pin out again without buggering the holes and/or chipping the wood.

As a general rule I won't remove it. I just spray some Ballistol around the barrel to displace any water that may have gotten in around it while cleaning and go on about my business.

I remove pinned barrels on the same schedule as Mike Brooks - only when the touch hole liners need replacement.

I would do it upon receiving a gun built by anyone else and every 3 or 4 years thereafter. Mostly because I am a curious fellow.

If you are careful in handling and caring for your gun, it should not be a problem. I unbarreled and unbreached my Tennessee after I had it for 5 years because someone told me that I would have rust in my breach if I was not using a particular cleaning and preserving method. He was wrong and I have not felt the need to take that gun done since.

CS

myrtle is four years old and i would estimate that i have removed the pinned barrel about a hundred times a year for a total of about four hundred times. no problem yet. thinking about it, a pin is just a round wedge. how often do people remove their wedges?

take care, daniel

Yes but most most wedges use metal escutcheons to take the abuse of removal and installation and protect the wood. A delicate forestock has only oil swelled wood to surround the pins and gunk to fill the holes up. Constant removal can't be good for that enviornment.

Guess I'm in the minority here, I remove my barrels every time I clean the gun. I've got 2 rifles that are over 20 years old and haven't worn out a pin hole yet. I slightly chamfer the ends of the pins and always take them out the way I put them in when I built the guns (driven in from the right side of the stock). I've never chipped a stock at the pin holes either although I've seen other guns suffer that fate.

Dick

Back