• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do You Remove Your Barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried many ways, but the best so far is the magnet. Feathers and toothpicks work most of the time but just slip up and you got black water running down your stock. Just my opinion.

I do not pulled pinned barrels, only those that are keyed and made for it. YMMV

Thanks guys, with that magnetic flush devise, how much better does it work than what Grenadier mentioned (how I currently do it)?
It really depends on how well the magnetic attachment is aligned with the touch hole. It also depends on how flat the liner is to the flat of the barrel. If the touch hole liner is slotted, the magnetic gasket may not fully cover the slot. If everything is aligned the solution is pulled into the barrel and forced back through the powder chamber and flash channel. After I get the bore cleaned with the toothpick or magnetic cover, I can still see black solution pulled through the tubing of the magnetic flushing device. It is easier to attach than the clamp type flushing device. Because of the forced flow of water it is better than the stoppering of the touch hole and soaking the fouling out.

I never remove any barrels since I modified a pump up sprayer and muzzle down rifle rack to pressure wash the barrel & breech plug. Then dry and oil the bore well with a series of patches and jag on the range rod.
sprayer 001.jpg
sprayer 002.jpg

I’ve got a flintlock couple guns with the usual pinned barrels. But, removing those itty bitty pins has me a bit worried I’ll damage something or blow out the wood around them.

How often should one remove the barrel? Is it actually needed for cleaning and maintenance or should it be left alone?

Thanks!

I always remove mine, never had any issues

It’s all about knowing your gun, the more you know about it, the easier it is to disassemble clean and reassemble.

Latest posts

Back