• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington New Army questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JN01

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Today I bought a Pietta Remington New Army. It is slightly used and came with a R&D .45 Colt conversion cylinder. Hadn't really planned on buying a conversion unit, but for $300 for the whole outfit, I thought it was a good deal.

This is my first Remington repro and I have a couple questions.

The rear sight is a V shaped notch in the top strap. When the gun is cocked, however, you can only see the very top of this notch as the hammer nose blocks the view of the rest of it. Is this normal, or should the hammer be shorter?

With regards to the conversion unit, will using .45 Colt wear the bore more than the .44 round balls?

Doesn't sound right. My Remington repo shows a clear sight picture of the whole v notch when cocked. I think if you are shooting lead nosed bullets there shouldn't be much difference than a lead round ball as to wear on the barrel. Need to have a gunsmith check that hammer though, unless you are your own gunsmith as some on the list are.

The tip of the hammer on both my .36 and my .44 Remingtons is right below the bottom of the frame notch when I place the tip of the front sight even with the top of the frame in the notch.

Sounds like the sear might be slightly worn. That would result in the hammer being positioned a little forward (and upward) when it is at full cock.

Zonie :)

I think Zonie might have hit on the problem of the cock being in the way of the rear sight.
As to the .45LC damaging the barrel, this should not be any problem with a sound revolver as the .45 bullet has a .454 diameter and the round ball you would be using is also .454 (or maybe even .457).

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

On my ancient Rigarmi when properly sighted the tip of the hammer is a good 1/4 inch below the bottom of the sight groove.

Thanks for the tips. I try stripping it down tomorrow and take a look at the sear.

Back