• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Info needed for my Remington New Model Army Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eli wooley

32 Cal
Reaction score
Here’s what I’ve gathered so far by my serial number which is (43369). Its an 1863 New Model Army revolver .44, my question is that, i know the barrels are supposed to be 8” long but this one is only 4 1/2”. Could it be possibly cut down to be shorter? It has the sight notch also. At first i thought it was a sheriffs revolver because of the short barrel but they are a 5 shot and mine is a 6 shooter. The serial number on the barrel and on the frame under the left grip match. There is also a (D) stamped i to the wood grip and an (M) stamped on the trigger guard. The gun is in poor condition as the plunger and trigger are missing. It was passed down to me and i would love to find out exactly what it is so i can make a nice labeled and framed case for it. I would really like to know why the barrel is basically cut in half and exactly when it was made and if it was used in the war. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• EAED071E-FBF8-4AF7-BED7-2AD63679DA8B.jpeg
    EAED071E-FBF8-4AF7-BED7-2AD63679DA8B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 7E1B22AE-D3C9-4467-BBA3-0D0887ACB3E9.jpeg
    7E1B22AE-D3C9-4467-BBA3-0D0887ACB3E9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 8B6E9383-FAEC-44F9-8EF2-CC3BF567CAEA.jpeg
    8B6E9383-FAEC-44F9-8EF2-CC3BF567CAEA.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 86501DBA-58A2-41D1-B307-840A0E97F28C.jpeg
    86501DBA-58A2-41D1-B307-840A0E97F28C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • F7A84AEB-2209-44F2-A385-570A55458064.jpeg
    F7A84AEB-2209-44F2-A385-570A55458064.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 70B299C7-8E17-4E97-880B-F10D5DC857D0.jpeg
    70B299C7-8E17-4E97-880B-F10D5DC857D0.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
If I had to guess, I'd say it was cut down into a little carry gun or stash piece after it was old and outdated.

I don't think it's as likely someone would cut up a newer, serviceable gun during the "percussion period " because guns were expensive but who knows. You may have an Outlaw or bounty hunter in the family that needed a hideout gun

It's missing some parts obviously and wouldn't have been shootable without a cylinder pin. The lack of trigger might have made it a "slip gun"

If I had to guess, I'd say it was cut down into a little carry gun or stash piece after it was old and outdated.

I don't think it's as likely someone would cut up a newer, serviceable gun during the "percussion period " because guns were expensive but who knows. You may have an Outlaw or bounty hunter in the family that needed a hideout gun

It's missing some parts obviously and wouldn't have been shootable without a cylinder pin. The lack of trigger might have made it a "slip gun"
Thanks for the info! It does have most of the cylinder pin but it has been broke off

To many old guns were considered to be of no value and neglected. Kids were allowed to take them out side to play with and broken and left outside. I as a nine year old was allowed to take the neighbors civil war sword out in the timber to hack on trees and brush. I did bring it back to him and he was pleased that I had enjoyed playing with it.

To many old guns were considered to be of no value and neglected. Kids were allowed to take them out side to play with and broken and left outside. I as a nine year old was allowed to take the neighbors civil war sword out in the timber to hack on trees and brush. I did bring it back to him and he was pleased that I had enjoyed playing with it.
Sad, but my folks and grandparents would have tanned my butt if I’d been caught “playing” with a firearm of any description. I understand how people might excuse it but I certainly couldn’t…

my pop would play quick draw with me and my brother with his revolvers, just load them with caps and we'd have shoot outs, slap leather sort of thing, my step mom would get mad and yell at us, good times
one of the neighbor kids had an old .36 missing its trigger as his toy gun, another had the frame and barrel of some old thing left in his grandpas shed
:) guns were ubiquitous and old guns were useless to most, the gun would get 'demiled' in some fashion by an adult and it would become a toy
we had swords that were old parade swords from our grandparents day
imagine a CPS agent of today coming to our neighborhoods when we was kids they'd have a fit

Sad, but my folks and grandparents would have tanned my butt if I’d been caught “playing” with a firearm of any description. I understand how people might excuse it but I certainly couldn’t…

Funny story, when I was in 2nd grade roughly, my dad decided that breaking of toy guns was not a good thing, so he bought me a Mosin Nagant (Russian WWI Rifle) out of the NRA sales.

Then we it arrived he looks at it and its, ooops, this is a real gun and I have been teaching the boys serious gun safety and I did what? Not that he could fully admit he screwed up, so he removed the firing pin and while I could play with it I could not point it at any of my brothers!

And it was so big and heavy I pretended it was a BAR. Equally funny I got a Bayonet the same route, probably paid 75 cents for it and it was not cut down and the rarest of the WWII made bayonets. Someone just reached into a pin, stuffed it into a sheath and sent it off. Its worth something like $400+.

My Dad told me when him and his brothers (4) and the other kids used to play cowboys and indians. He said "we didn't have any toy guns - we used real ones". Then he smiled and said "and they were loaded". They would shoot into the dirt or at a tree. This was in the 1920's - life was different then.
They grew up to be the generation that fought in WW2.

Latest posts

Back