• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebarreling a pedersoli kentucky..?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the Black Spot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking at the option of Rebarreling my ped. Ky. To .40 cal that way i have an all around deer/small game rifle for here in arkansas.
Anyone done this or known someone who has? Thx

If you have $$$ you can do just about anything.

You can get a breech plug from Pedersoli. You can get a barrel builder to make the barrel for you.

You can get everything to fit.

You can in the blink of an eye drop 500 to 600 bucks doing so.

Now, on a 1200 Pedersoli that might be a worthwhile option.

If the rifle has significant sentimental value it is likewise an option.

Otherwise, it's most often "most economical" to keep or sell your current rifle and buy a nice used rifle in the caliber/style that you want. It can often be obtained for "less" than simply replacing the barrel on your current rifle.

Breech plug 35-50 bucks
Barrel made fit your current stock - $350

Custom cutting of dovetails to match current needs - $20-30 per lug/dovetail/sight etc

Fit breech plug - $25-30

Blue/brown the barrel to match - upwards of $100

If you have no-one that can do it local then add shipping/insurance back and forth to maybe more than one builder/supplier.

If your model was ever sold by Pedersoli in 40 cal, you may be able to get a complete barrel from them for somewhat less than the numbers I have posted above.

(should have added)

Going from say a 50 to 40 cal barrel could add upwards of a pound to the weight of the rifle - something to consider as well (since you still need the same "thickness" of barrel but the hole is smaller = more steel left = more weight.

A few years ago, I contacted John Bergmann in TN., and he replaced the .32 barrel in my Pedersoli Frontier Rifle with a .40 barrel. Legal for deer in the Buckeye State

I don't have the receipt, but it was inexpensive. John built a Fusil for me several years ago, and I recommend his work.

John has a unique browning technique. It is a matte flat, dark brown color, and looks 250 + years old.

I don't know what the existing bore size of your barrel is, but i would suggest having it relined to the caliber of your choice, which would eliminate the expenses mentioned in previous posts regarding revere bing, sight dovetails, etc.

Duane

We had a discussion a while back on various calibers suitable for deer. Although the 40 is legal and has killed plenty of deer there was a general feeling it was not nearly as good as a 45 caliber. The other issue is if you have a caliber legal to kill deer and are out in the small game season for squirrel- would that create an issue with a law enforcement officer thinking you were after deer out of season?
If what you have now is a pleasure to shoot why not just get a used side lock in a pawn shop for $150 or so to hunt deer.

Back