• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.370 Smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've decided on a 32 cal percussion pedersoli kentucky as my first sidelock, but I'm already thinking of potential mods I want to do in the future, one of those is having it bored out to a .370 smoothbore to have the option to shoot shot while not really hampering performance with ball since from my understanding rifling only really helps past 50yds and small bore is best at 50 and in. I've heard a lot about hoyt rebores on this forum but can't find any contact info or anything, note that I won't be considering doing this for at least a couple months. Also anyone here ever done a 38 cal smoothie before?

I think it would be a waste of time and money. I hold the same opinion of any bore size under 24 gauge. Smaller bores don't carry enough payload to be worthwhile. Range of shot in a .38 smooth bore would be under 25 yards. A .32 is already a 50 yard rifle.

Catboy, it is yours to do with what you wish. I have a 32 gauge shotgun(.526) I normally shoot 3/4 ounce of shot over 55grains of whatever I brought. But sometimes I bump the shot up to one ounce. Using the Skychief loading technique helps. Just keep in mind you will have a 20 yard gun. There is a member here, Britsmoothy, that regularly post his results from his hunts with a 45 smootbore. It is all about learning your guns limitations and shooting within those. Good luck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back