• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reassurance needed, Question regarding Lock Finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much all.

I have taken up Mr Denison's offer to send it back to him to look at. I will update with new photos when it returns!

Thank you all for the super fast opinions and help.

Indeed I'd love to be able to work on it, but being new to Blackpowder and in grad school for my first real piece i'll let the Pros handle it.

I appreciate all the responses and Kindness shown to me in this forum for a newcomer.

MattinIdaho said:
photo%2520%25287%2529_opt.jpg

Maybe this is better, resized again.

I was going to order one from Dixie a while back, but after several weeks of checking they were always out of stock so I called North Star and ordered one. I should have it sometime in June. I got one of their Early English trade guns last year and am more than pleased with it. For the ranges I usually shoot at it could almost make me quit shooting a rifle.
The only reason I didn’t get the Officer’s Fusil first was concern about a mold. That’s been taken care of.

An older post on this board: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/191213/
has some good pictures of the Officer’s Fusil. (scroll down to post #242422) To my eye, it looks like the same area of ”˜imperfection’ is on the cock of that one as well. That means it might be on, at least, the majority of them, so it might not be as bad as the pictures make it look. If it was, it would not have shown up on yours.

Here’s to both of us enjoying our fusils.

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy,

I was surprised Dixie had one in stock as well. Must have been a fairly recent batch.

Yeah its very possible its on many of them. Either way, Mr Denison said he would take care of it and the Lock is going to him tomorrow.

Sounds like they make great guns though, im glad you love yours! Also, the contact and service i've received on a weekend no less has been exceptional.

Indeed, can't wait to shoot her. I've got a decent order of roundballs/flints/powder/etc. all inbound in the next day.

I have one of the original North Star guns built by Curley Gostomski. Bought it used around 1989.
Gotta say, that gun goes off first time everytime. Used the same flint on it for competition and small game hunting for almost 20 years. I understand they build ad finish their own locks. Don't know what was down to tune that lock, but I wish all my flinters were that good.

A North Star trade pistol is on the "desire" list.

If I liked the overall fit and finish of your rifle I might knock off the burrs and call it good. I know it's the pitt's but this is 2013 and we do not get our money worth most places! Geo. T.

Geo T,

The owner of north star west himself contacted me and is going to handle it. I'll post when everything's done but it looks like amazing service thus far.

Everyone makes little errors but it's how a company deals with those and their customers that truly sets them above the rest.

So far so good, and I may be premature but thankful I bought American north star west. I'm sure I would not have received the same fast reply from many else especially overseas companies.

Happy shooting.

MattinIdaho said:
I'm sure I would not have received the same fast reply from many else especially overseas companies.

I sent an email to Pedersoli once between Christmas and New Years when their entire operation was shut down. One of their customer service people was monitoring email even though she should have been taking the time off and not only responded, but went in and shipped a small part to me I needed! I was pretty amazed.

Good to buy American, I agree, but customer service is a "company" value...not necessarily a "country" value. :v

Wow that is awesome. Completely agree with your statement ultimately it is A company by company issue. Good to know they are top service too. Lol I agree, if possible its always good to see great service American companies.

You gotta' love a forum, where you can post a question about a product and get hooked up with the owner of the company, who then fixes your problem! Hats off, to all involved!

Wow, So just an update for everyone.

Sent Lock off to Mr Denison and NorthStarWest from TX on Monday 3/18. They received thursday and sent it back friday (the next day).

Received lock back today, 3/25! Wow was that fast!.

PhotoRedone.jpg

Seems to me they did a very pleasing job and i cant aesthetically see anything, all the burrs/marks are gone.
They stamped a little cross above the crown as well.

Im very happy with the lock and have to get out and shoot now!

Just want to say a big thank you to everyone on this forum for really helping a newcomer out, and a big thank you to Mr Denison and North Star West. Already saving up my pennies for another purchase!

Back