• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small 'pistol' sized Italian/Brescian wheellock lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Another one recently won on auction, where the ad had stated:

"An early Italian wheellock mechanism likely from Brescia, measuring approximately 6-3/4" x 3". The cock is quite ornate & delicate. The lock plate has an interior mark that appears to be a crowned "OB"."

Well this one too is complete and 100% functional! Some items of interest:

• Maker's mark (see above) under a crown
  • All parts and surfaces are exceptionally finished, given its age
  • Large width main spring, for the size of this lock, measures almost 1/2" wide
  • 1-1/8"" diameter wheel
  • Only 6 individual 'cross-grooves' cut across the wheel, 60-degrees apart, where these grooves cut into the pyrite to create the spark
  • Appears extremely well made and well stored, as not only does it function, but all parts move ... and it cycles as smooth as warm butter!
  • Cannot detect any appreciable wear, possibly due to the exceptional craftsmanship
  • Every bolt can be removed, where those I did remove still had great thread form and were hand cut by a die (I presume)
BrescianW-L01.jpg
BrescianW-L02.jpg
BrescianW-L03.jpg
BrescianW-L04.jpg
BrescianW-L05.jpg
BrescianW-L06.jpg
BrescianW-L07.jpg
BrescianW-L08.jpg
BrescianW-L09.jpg
BrescianW-L10.jpg

Last edited:

"An early Italian wheellock mechanism likely from Brescia, measuring approximately 6-3/4" x 3". The lock plate has a small mark below the wheel that appears to read "BP". The cock is quite ornate & delicate. The lock plate has an interior mark that appears to be a crowned "OB"."

• 1-1/8"" diameter wheel
  • Only 6 individual 'cross-grooves' cut across the wheel, 60-degrees apart, where these grooves cut into the pyrite to create the spark
  • Appears extremely well made and well stored, as not only does it function, but all parts move ... and it cycles as smooth as warm butter!
  • Cannot detect any appreciable wear, possibly due to the exceptional craftsmanship
  • Every bolt can be removed, where those I did remove still had great thread form and were hand cut by a die (I presume)
View attachment 252242View attachment 252243View attachment 252244View attachment 252245View attachment 252246View attachment 252247View attachment 252248View attachment 252249View attachment 252250View attachment 252251
I found a match for the makers mark!

IMG_9636.jpeg

IMG_9635.jpeg

Hi Flint

Again, Congratulations !!! Another fine piece for a lock collection. Stylistically, it has Italian (probably Northern) written all over it. Notice how close your lock looks to the photo John posted above. It is amazing how well many of the original locks were made, even this early on. While the lock is generally considered pistol size, it still looks large enough for a slim rifle/carbine should you decide same.

I know first hand how tempting it can be to find a good condition, original lock - and want to use it for a custom build. Many collectors frown on doing this. But then, I've often gone a bit further than many collectors would allow themselves. Personally, unless the it something extra-ordinary and rare, I don't see any reason not to use an original lock or add a liner to a barrel on an original gun. But, I do know where to draw the line. LOL

Again, great looking lock in great condition.

Rick

Hi Flint

Again, Congratulations !!! Another fine piece for a lock collection. Stylistically, it has Italian (probably Northern) written all over it. Notice how close your lock looks to the photo John posted above. It is amazing how well many of the original locks were made, even this early on. While the lock is generally considered pistol size, it still looks large enough for a slim rifle/carbine should you decide same.

I know first hand how tempting it can be to find a good condition, original lock - and want to use it for a custom build. Many collectors frown on doing this. But then, I've often gone a bit further than many collectors would allow themselves. Personally, unless the it something extra-ordinary and rare, I don't see any reason not to use an original lock or add a liner to a barrel on an original gun. But, I do know where to draw the line. LOL

Again, great looking lock in great condition.

Rick
The brescian carbine I saw at the Wallace collection also had the proportions of an Italian pistol, but with a longer barrel and cheek stock. I’m not sure if they are all like that, but it’s one example of how the same size lock is appropriate on either type.

"An early Italian wheellock mechanism likely from Brescia, measuring approximately 6-3/4" x 3". The cock is quite ornate & delicate. The lock plate has an interior mark that appears to be a crowned "OB"."

• 1-1/8"" diameter wheel
View attachment 252242View attachment 252243View attachment 252244View attachment 252245View attachment 252246View attachment 252247View attachment 252248View attachment 252249View attachment 252250View attachment 252251
I really enjoy seeing the locks you find. It aspires me to work harder when you see what was done. BTW, I'm still figuring out how the Forum works and how to see things.
Thanks, Hank

Again Flint, congratulations. That lock sounds like it was made and functions as good as it looks. It now seems to be screaming to have a new gun built using it. LOL If you do decide to build a gun around it similar to the Italian one Tob posted above (great work Tob on the research), keep me in mind. I have an iron, forged trigger guard that could probably be easily modified.

Rick

Back