• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ready to do my Kibler lock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All,

Merry Christmas. I hope this post finds everyone in good spirits and ready for the holiday. So I have completed three Kiblers this last year but did not brown the locks. I will be browning them with Jax browning solution that I use on all of the other parts.

Heres my question. Are there any parts of the lock that DO NOT get browned? I guess mostly I was thinking that maybe the frizzen was to be left untouched but everything else was good to go?

Also I was just going to sand them down with a couple grades of wet dry sandpaper. Is that correct?

Thanks for your responses ahead of time and Merry Christmas.

SR1

I file, sand, and use a couple of wheel brushes to finish all the parts of the lock that show except the frizzen face.

I polish all the parts that touch on the inside with a buffing wheel.

Brown everything that shows. Don't brown the internal parts, frizzen face or back of the lock plate.

Merry Christmas!

Hi,
I am sorry but locks (and barrels) browned the way most do them these days looks so 20th and 21st century. If you want to avoid that and of course it is your gun to do as you desire, polish off all the cast texture on all of the external metal. Give the metal a good polish and then a light fine grained rust brown will look much more authentic. Alternatively, polish the lock bright and leave it or heat the polished external parts to blue color (600 degrees) with a torch. Of the Kibler models, only the southern Mountain rifle would have had any browning historically.

dave

I sand and polish the barrel and locks (except the frizzen face and the interior) and use cold blue on them and the barrel and then rub them back.

I like the looks, gives them a nice used but not abused look. The nooks and crannies around the lock and sights will retain the darker color but the open areas will be a lighter gray.

If you want it to look like a lock from the period, you should file, then sand, all exterior surfaces, except the face of the frizzen. Original locks did not have cast surfaces and casting seams. Those will not disappear with sanding alone, but should be filed. After filing all surfaces, then sand them, and make sure your sandpaper is backed with a hard surface. I usually wrap it around an appropriate sized file. I would say, don't use a polishing wheel. It makes the surface look like you used a polishing wheel... and that wasn't done. Here is a photo of two Chambers locks. One as it came, and the other after filing and initial sanding. Even the frizzen spring should receive attention.

Attachments

• 20220328_143503.jpg
    20220328_143503.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Kibler locks are made by CMC and are not cast. Most of it will not require filing, except the cock which is cast. The quality of the cock casting is much better than other locks. Start with 220 sand paper and finish with burgundy scotchbrite. All sanding must be hardbacked. Never buff any thing by machine on a ML.

Back