• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fire bluing SMR parts, Jax blacking barrel ....thoughts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveboone

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I fire blued many of the small parts of my Kibler Colonial rifle ,(trigger plate, wood screws, rear sight, tang bolts and such) and was very pleased with the results. I am looking ahead to my SMR now. I was originally going to Jax Black the steel. Now I am considering fire bluing as much of the steel as possible. I will not the triggers/sears, and of course the frizzen or working lock parts, but what of the lock plate itself? Has anyone ever fire blued the small steel parts in combination with the Jax Blacked barrel? How does it look? I am wondering if it would look....dorky, or only half done.

When you say "fire blue" I am assuming you mean oxidation color used to judge tempering temperature. It's pretty, but not abrasion resistant.

On small parts like screws I will often heat till cherry red then dunk in some old motor oil, then repeat. They come out a dark black which lasts a reasonably long time. I think blue/black screws adds a nice touch to a gun.

For a blue color on a lock plate you might want to consider rust blue

When you say "fire blue" I am assuming you mean oxidation color used to judge tempering temperature. It's pretty, but not abrasion resistant.

On small parts like screws I will often heat till cherry red then dunk in some old motor oil, then repeat. They come out a dark black which lasts a reasonably long time. I think blue/black screws adds a nice touch to a gun.

For a blue color on a lock plate you might want to consider rust blue
By fire bluing, I am referring to the heating/oil quenching process you refer to.

You can achieve some very nice colors by polishing the steel and slowing heating the steel with a propane torch.

Grays, blues, purples, browns, straws can all be achieved with a torch.

Or you can make a saggar, place the parts in it with some carbonized material, heat in a furnace and dump in cold water.

There's too much to go into in a forum thread. Find some good on-line resources and start reading.

Springer is correct, you can chase some nice colors with flame but too much to get into here. They also don’t wear well.
As far as hardening by heating and quenching that leaves the steel extremely hard but brittle. Without Tempering, screw heads can snap off and they are too hard to drill for an Easy-Out screw remover, so you’re screwed!
After hardening/quenching in pre-heated canola oil I’ll polish the screw heads back to bright then put all the parts I want blue/ black into an old toaster oven at 450 for an hour or so until I like the colors.
Seems to be more durable than flame colors.

Back