• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod tip extending past muzzle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does having the end of the ramrod out past the muzzle have any effect on accuracy? A friend of mine was commented about mine (3/4 inch past) affecting my shot.

The ramrod tip tends to get beat up when you shoot, and if this is a hunting setup it will be a real brush catcher, at least in my opinion.

It can be a brush grabber, but I haven't had any problems otherwise, except when a friend tried to copy me with his modern inline shooting those French projectiles. Because the ramrod sits tight against the barrel it damaged the tip when fired. So if your gun isn't full stocked or have an under rib watch out.
Most of mine extend 2 fingers beyond the muzzle.

Mine sticks out about an inch past the muzzle. Didnt affect me getting a deer this year. It does get dirty from the shot though.

I carried mine on a hunt once sticking out a bit and also with a jag screwed on.

Got back to camp for lunch and the rod was gone! I had covered a lot of ground that day sooooo, i wrote it off. A couple days later I was walking on an old skid trail that id walked when I lost it. There were some small quakies sprung up here and there and my rod was hanging from one. The jag wedged in limbs and I'd been carrying the rifle shouldered. It pulled out without me noticing anything.

I like mine between a 1/4" short or 1/4" long of the muzzle. I can't imagine there would be any accuracy issue if it were left longer, short of if you shoot chunk at 500y or more and even then I'd still be shocked. I do put grip notches in my rods on some of my smaller caliber guns so it's easier to grab. Or, as on one of my guns, this...

IMG_0579.JPG

I like mine between a 1/4" short or 1/4" long of the muzzle. I can't imagine there would be any accuracy issue if it were left longer, short of if you shoot chunk at 500y or more and even then I'd still be shocked. I do put grip notches in my rods on some of my smaller caliber guns so it's easier to grab. Or, as on one of my guns, this...

View attachment 56449
Wow! Bob, what is that on the rod of the second picture? I have never seen a spiral behind a jag. Polecat

It looks bad and everyone knows how cool a weapon looks is really all that matters.

Rod should be just a tad shorter than the muzzle when in its place under the barrel.

If what you have works for you, do it and don't worry about it.

For some reason, I think it makes my longrifle look a little more badass if the ramrod sticks out past the muzzle. I freely admit that "looking badass" is probably not a period correct concept. The protruding ramrod does, however, get in the way when using a ball board while loading with the help of a starter....and before pulling out the ramrod to finish the load.

Latest posts

Back