• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod tip extending past muzzle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The correct ramrod length on antique military rifle muskets is something that I have tried to understand. So far as I have observed, all the ramrods on original military rifle muskets do not go out past the barrel. But, still the ramrod has to be long enough so that it doesn't go down inside the barrel when you ram the bullet down the muzzle. It is hard to get the length correct if you have to replace a ramrod on a rifle musket missing the rod because there has to be bullet and powder in the barrel to know what the right length should be. I bought and original French M1853T Rifle Musket without a ramrod. I ordered a replacement from Track-of-the-Wolf. But,the ramrod went out beyond the barrel. I don't want to shoot it, so I am not going to put powder and bullet down the barrel. So my problem is, where do you cut off the ramrod? Right at the end of the barrel? One inch shorter than the barrel?

To be honest, I see no reason for a ramrod sticking out past the muzzle.
This is never seen on British or European guns, and is an accident waiting to happen.
If it works for you, well and good, but I think it looks B. awful! LOL!

Hmmmm.... I have seen a ramrod left in the barrel and it was not a safety issue, just an embarrassment for the shooter.
So a ramrod left a little long - please explain what the "accident" would be?

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple things here: I never said it was brass, it is hickory as far as I know, and I never said it affected accuracy.....it DOES affect poi (point of impact). Maybe it won't effect yours, but it did mine. If in doubt, try it out.

I like mine between a 1/4" short or 1/4" long of the muzzle. I can't imagine there would be any accuracy issue if it were left longer, short of if you shoot chunk at 500y or more and even then I'd still be shocked. I do put grip notches in my rods on some of my smaller caliber guns so it's easier to grab. Or, as on one of my guns, this...

View attachment 56449
I like mine between a 1/4" short or 1/4" long of the muzzle. I can't imagine there would be any accuracy issue if it were left longer, short of if you shoot chunk at 500y or more and even then I'd still be shocked. I do put grip notches in my rods on some of my smaller caliber guns so it's easier to grab. Or, as on one of my guns, this...

View attachment 56449
Bob, what exactly is (this)? Looks like an extension of some sort.

It didn't bother Alvin none.

Alvin York rammer.jpg

Harmonics in very thin modern barrels I can understand, but in 1" steel barrels it is hard to understand.

At that rate, then folks should not have their ramrods in the thimbles when shooting.

I don't think it was caused by the rod, but I wasn't there and have never tried it.

I know several shooters who have competition only rifles built as half stocks that have no rib or thimbles and of course no on board rod. Maybe they are on to something? :)

Harmonics in very thin modern barrels I can understand, but in 1" steel barrels it is hard to understand.

At that rate, then folks should not have their ramrods in the thimbles when shooting.
For best results always be consistent, either in or out. Some may shoot better with the ramrod in place, others may not as it can affect barrel band tension, hence harmonics. Way back before glass bedding became commonplace one trick was to place a strip of business card between the barrel and tip of the forearm to add a bit of upward pressure. Not everything likes to free float. As always your mileage may vary.

Does having the end of the ramrod out past the muzzle have any effect on accuracy? A friend of mine was commented about mine (3/4 inch past) affecting my shot.
I make all of mine to stick out about an inch, Keeps the muzzle off the bottom of the.. safe when in storage. Also easier for my less than limber fingers to get hold of. No effect on accuracy that I can tell.

I doubt that an inch or two overhang would make a noticeable change in accuracy in a hunting situation but once had a range buddy that claimed that his 18" bayonet mounted on his rifle (under the bore) put a bullet about 5" higher at 100 yards than the same load in the same rifle without the bayonet.
This is probably true
In unmentionables the gas exits faster than the bullet.
Strikes the bayonet and then bounces to the side of the bullet pushing it.
There is a certain russian rifle that was factory sighted with a fixed bayonet. They invariably shoot to the side with no fixed bayonet. Further they front sight is noticably off centre.

You can find "Barney Google" and "Snuffy Smith" in the comics in many newspapers. That comic strip goes back, I think, to the beginning of time.

I doubt that an inch or two overhang would make a noticeable change in accuracy in a hunting situation but once had a range buddy that claimed that his 18" bayonet mounted on his rifle (under the bore) put a bullet about 5" higher at 100 yards than the same load in the same rifle without the bayonet.

Germany did not have the "O" ring on bayonets for that reason. Theirs held by lug alone. Speaking of K98's.

It’s somewhat rare for the hickory ramrods(or perhaps ramrod channel) to be perfectly straight which will can result in some level of “sticking” when removing/replacing the ramrod. I will generally mark the ramrod with an index point(small notch) at the tip with the least(or no) entry resistance and always replace the rod in this position.......Yes, my Kibler Colonial ramrod had to be indexed in this fashion for easy removal and replacement.....even after attempts at straighten/trim the rod. No issues at all with accuracy.

Back