• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod tip extending past muzzle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of mine are right at barrel length but a couple are sticking out maybe 1" (+ or -) past the muzzle. No problem as yet and it makes them easier to grab and pull.

Mine sticks out an inch or so past the end of the muzzle. I haven’t noticed any issues. A lot of pictures I’ve seen of original rifles have the ramrod sticking past the muzzle.

About all of mine extend past the muzzle. I have had no issues with accuracy and cant remember it ever catching brush in 20 years of hunting.
It's rare, but I've picked up a weed or two in the tall grass, if the brush gets thick I just go butt first. Good muzzle control helps a lot.

It looks bad and everyone knows how cool a weapon looks is really all that matters.

Rod should be just a tad shorter than the muzzle when in its place under the barrel.

If what you have works for you, do it and don't worry about it.

Since I use a jag to make the length that sticks past the muzzle, I can undo it at any time and revert to a short rod if I want or need to.

I've trimmed rods for this rifle both ways but the current rod extends about 3/4" & I've discovered that it holds the muzzle out of the grass/dirt, if I rest it muzzle down. Less chance of unknowingly picking up debris in the muzzle.
It also gives my fumble fingers a bit more to grab if I've run it down the empty bore and works out to 3 finger breadths showing above the muzzle w/ my regular load - & one finger for a dry ball (no need to ask...).

I doubt that an inch or two overhang would make a noticeable change in accuracy in a hunting situation but once had a range buddy that claimed that his 18" bayonet mounted on his rifle (under the bore) put a bullet about 5" higher at 100 yards than the same load in the same rifle without the bayonet.

Having misspent my youth as a centerfire benchrest shooter, I cringe a little here. I wouldn't rule out a slight affect on POI but as long as you shoot all your sight in and practice shots with it in place, it wouldn't matter.

Mine only sticks out if I screw a jag in it and leave it. Most of the time I shoot with a range rod so no jag is present on the gun rod.
When I am hunting I use only the gun rod, so the jag sticks out past the barrel. It hasn't been an issue with snagging or accuracy.

Timely post as I'm getting ready to order a one piece brass ramrod for woods walks. I have a couple brass multi piece ramrods I don't want to carry anything extra and I just flat out do not trust the wood ramrod.i figure a single attachment point for jags and such will work just fine. The jag should be the only thing sticking out.

Last edited:
I can tell you that I was curious about what, if any, effect the ramrod had on POI. When I pulled out the ramrod I looked down it as you would look down a pool cue for straightness, and it had a definite curve in it from being kept in place in the rifle. So I ran a little test, putting it in 180 degrees so that the curve in the rod was pushing up on the bottom of the barrel. Hate to tell you guys this, but the point of impact changed. It's been years since I did this so I am not remembering how much out or in what direction, but from then on I treated my in-the-rifle ramrod as a prop, only for emergency follow up shots. All cleaning and loading has been done ever since with a working rod.

No expert here, but I've read that it does slightly affect point of impact. Of course if it's always there it won't affect accuracy.

I like the extra length to grab it when checking to see if it is loaded or not. a inch + or - doesn't hurt any thing.

I dont think it makes any difference for accuracy but I dont care to have a rod sticking up past the muzzle if im cutting patches.
James

Unless it's real close to the barrel it shouldn't matter...... Mine is a little long cause the way the rifle is built if it doesn't stick out and you drop it in the barrel you have to dump it out cause the roof channel is exactly the same length as the muzzle to beech plug...... So it's a little long so that is not an issue

A couple of my rifles with ramrods sticking out an inch or so has not been an issue at all. Having a bit more to grab when using the ramrod in the field has its advantages.

"So I ran a little test, putting it in 180 degrees so that the curve in the rod was pushing up on the bottom of the barrel. Hate to tell you guys this, but the point of impact changed."

How is a brass rod going to bend a piece " steel barrel to change impact?

"So I ran a little test, putting it in 180 degrees so that the curve in the rod was pushing up on the bottom of the barrel. Hate to tell you guys this, but the point of impact changed."

How is a brass rod going to bend a piece " steel barrel to change impact?
Doesn't have to bend the steel barrel. Pressure can change barrel harmonics.

Harmonics in very thin modern barrels I can understand, but in 1" steel barrels it is hard to understand.

At that rate, then folks should not have their ramrods in the thimbles when shooting.

Latest posts

Back