• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

quit posting flintlock pictures!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago at A Denver gun show I was looking at a Don Lamott 40 Southern mountain flintlock and wife was with me and I handed it too her. "Buy it" she says.
At another show I found a Don King Flint lock plains style pistol and put some money on it to hold it an she looks at it and pulls out a credit card and it followed us home. It is not that I have to slip a flint lock into the house I have to keep her from claiming them.
Carney

Hi! i am deerstalker and i am a flintlock addict!
here are some i have acquired over the last 4 months. at this rate i will have to build another room on the house just for flintlocks and fixings.View attachment 129708
I want to hear more about each of these beauties...Calibre, Load Development, Accuracy, Field Experience (if any). I'm hoping that these firearms combine beauty and performance...

As an aside, nothing intended about the guns pictured; simply just a thought that popped into my head just now.

For whatever reason, people seem to poopoo the guy with an inexpensive entry level gun at some of these shoots and gatherings. I have to say, the only interesting gun is an accurate gun. And the person that can compete, with a flintlock, has my utmost respect and admiration; that level of skill takes commitment.

I don't care much for pedigree, I'm into performance.

The flinters are most addictive Beware
1105191402b.jpg

I want to hear more about each of these beauties...Calibre, Load Development, Accuracy, Field Experience (if any). I'm hoping that these firearms combine beauty and performance...

As an aside, nothing intended about the guns pictured; simply just a thought that popped into my head just now.

For whatever reason, people seem to poopoo the guy with an inexpensive entry level gun at some of these shoots and gatherings. I have to say, the only interesting gun is an accurate gun. And the person that can compete, with a flintlock, has my utmost respect and admiration; that level of skill takes commitment.

No/yes think you got that right great hunters have working guns , no fancy bits, strong as hell
, fancy bits won’t help you when you come up against a bear or buffalo , I hate all this fancy engraving , the people who order them , never shoot them I guess , But just be happy I gues a poor boy that buys his first rifle is the happiest person on earth.

Also, if you have a caplock your not entirely happy with you can convert it to flintlock. This one was caplock with a drum on it so the conversion was fairly easy. Remove ther drum install a ventliner and inlet a little for the flintlock.

20211121_113106.jpg

I only had to sleep in the barn for 3 nights. BUT I got my rifle. lol

Just have to build a nicer "dog house". Here is my dog house, running water, heat and A/C

20170313_181448.jpg

I bought a rifle for my wife's birthday. She opened the present, seen it and said "you know after 25 years of being married, I don't shoot these things". Being a good husband, I told her "well I'm deeply sorry dear, I just wasn't thinking, if you don't want it I will take it". I only had to sleep in the barn for 3 nights. BUT I got my rifle. lol
Years ago, when I was first married and still only green-broke, I bought my wife a handgun for Christmas. I had saved for that gun and I got an amazing deal. I was so excited, I could almost not hold it in.

In all my years of being married this was the only secret that I had ever been able to keep from her...I was so proud of myself.

Christmas Eve, as we're opening gifts, she jokingly says..."This better not be a gun."

Worst Christmas EVER...

I want to hear more about each of these beauties...Calibre, Load Development, Accuracy, Field Experience (if any).
top one is a Pedersoli Mortimer 54. 50g fffg and prb .015 patch. it will shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yards. i can't. I lied about the 4 months Frankie.
this one the wife bought me last year. USPS broke the stock in transit and i fixed it, only to drop it and break it again. fixed double good now.

second one is a .32 cal southern mountain with a G.R. Douglas barrel i found as a raw stock blank and barrel in a friends shop. unbuilt for 30-35 years. Loves a load of 35-35 g fffg and .018 patch. i made a funky peep sight for the rear and it works so well i have never replaced it. Built it after i got out of hospital in September.

third one is a Tennessee mountain classic .50 i just finished. likes a PRB with a .007 patch over 60g fffg. still putting coats of finish on it.so far it shoots to point of aim at 25 yards.

fourth is my Whatzit build. a fellow came on the forum wanting to trade or sell a bunch of parts and the stock. metup with him and traded a percussion TC .50 i had for the stuff.
it had been started and was cut from a full length to Hawken length. RR hole was off and sundry other problems. fixed what i could.
it is a .50 with a Nesbitt barrel. shoots alike a dream but it is what it is i guess.

fifth. a TC Hawken .45. this is one i bought a new old stock, stock and then two barrels. one a .45 and the other a .50 Green Mountain.
the Green Mountain has the vent liner almost buried behind the rear of the pan but still shoots great.
the ..45 is fast becoming my favorite. it shoots 45-55 g fffg with a prb and .015 patch into one hole. with someone besides me behind it:doh:
as far as load development i just start with the same grains of powder as the ball size and work a ladder from there. finding the sweet spot is the fun of shooting.
now i am building some pistols. or at least trying.
20220322_183514.jpg

I used to love beating the custom gun guys at the match with my inexpensive production guns! Now I've joined them.

Walt

No/yes think you got that right great hunters have working guns , no fancy bits, strong as hell
, fancy bits won’t help you when you come up against a bear or buffalo , I hate all this fancy engraving , the people who order them , never shoot them I guess , But just be happy I gues a poor boy that buys his first rifle is the happiest person on earth.

I personally don't care for patch boxes or other embellishments that contaminate a gorgeous piece of wood! Simplicity is a beautiful thing.

Just my two cents,

Walt

As many of you know, I’ve recently switched to Flintlocks. With the exception of the ones, I use for ML classes and Scouts, I sold most of my production Caplocks and modern shooters in order to afford some custom guns. However, I'd like to have a Hawken Brothers-style cap lock. As well as a 50 cal SMR from Jack Garner.

The majority of the guns I’ve purchased over the past ten years were from The Gun Works lay-a-way program. Others were bought with things like tax returns and windfall checks from gas, oil, and gravel operations on the property we own in North Dakota. My wife doesn’t care as long as it’s not rent or grocery money. She had no problem with me acquiring a 45 caliber Cherrywood-stocked Pedersoli Percussion Long rifle for her birthday. She loves shooting muzzies!

I plan on using my 50 caliber RB Barrel on my Trade Gun for hunting this year; single trigger with big bow guard.

I’m in California right now but here are a few photos I have on my computer.

Thanks!

Walt

P.S.: Sorry to the OP but you need at least one Flinter in your collection!

P.P.S: The 1st photo is a custom 40 caliber Iron Mounted Pennsylvania Rifle; 2nd is a 58 caliber Harpers Ferry from Navy Arms; 3rd is a 40 caliber Issac Haines Chamber's rifle kit by Jack Hansberry; 4th is a GRF 62 caliber Trade Gun with extra 50 caliber RB barrel; 5th is a 40 caliber English Pistol by Hollie Wessel; 6th, I almost forgot about my 54 caliber GRF Astorian!

Attachments

• GEDC2396.JPG
    GEDC2396.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 30
  • a1bde2_fea863769b484247a6b05cfa0b106f81~mv2.jpg
    a1bde2_fea863769b484247a6b05cfa0b106f81~mv2.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 33
  • pix303792228.jpg
    pix303792228.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 26168741_10155497914642054_5025451752473424750_n (2).jpg
    26168741_10155497914642054_5025451752473424750_n (2).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 36
  • GEDC4066.JPG
    GEDC4066.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 39
  • GEDC4369.JPG
    GEDC4369.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I have to agree, seeing all these flintlocks has re-defined lust for me....

Fortunately, my girlfriend has always said, it's your money, so if you want the gun, get it... The problem has been an overabundance of nice options.. Too many choices!

I certainly wouldn't mind acquiring a Hawken flintlock. Even a kit requires that "green stuff". About 4 gas fillups would be about the same price as a nice kit.....think it'll work if I explain it that way?

Nah, I didn't think so either. :ghostly:

Back