• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quintessential SxS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkloos

40 Cal.
Reaction score
In your opinions, what is the classic, good ole' sxs shotgun? I'm not talkin inlines, but frontstuffers. You see the cowboy movies with the shotguns, but how much glory to they get after the two shots ring out? I'd like to know what the classic American shotgun is, so I can get myself one in the future. Thanks

I have a Navy arms percussion 12 SxS, cylinder bore on both sides that I think is as classic as they get. Only thing any classier might be a flintlock.
Bryan

Pedersoli s x s shotguns are nice. They are available in 20, 12 and 10 gauge. Believe 10 gauges were fairly common during the percussion era.

No question or dought about it I have a pedersoli 12 ga sxs and hands down it's the best muzzel loader I have . It's so versatile you can use any size shot or round ball or even slugs . You can use it for practicaly any kind of game especialy if it's an emergency os survival situation . Out of all of my other muzzel loaders I might choose to sell or trade to get another muzzel loader but in the case of my sxs it's a keeper plus when I got it the price was way below it's retail value I could never replace it for any whare near what it cost me , I can envision my grandson owning this one .So my recomendation would deffinately buy one you won't be regret it .

In replicas we are pretty much limited to the Pedersoli and they are good guns. In terms of original guns there were probably more of Belgian make than any others. The Belgian guns often tried to pass as British since the Brits had the reputation for building the finest side by sides in the world and I'd say the finest in the history of gun making. The Belgian guns were not of the same quality and were often heavy and poorly balanced but sold for a fraction of the cost of even the cheapest English gun.
Typical of the percussion era would be of any make, 10 or 12 gauge, 30-32" barrels, cylinder bore. A bit of choke in one barrel would make a more useful hunting gun but very few originals would have been choke bored.

Back