• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going Deer Hunting with my Antique 13 Gauge SxS.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorB

40 Cal
Reaction score
My last several deer, I've taken at ranges under 20 yards. A couple of years ago, I could have bayoneted a large 8-point. So, I decided this year I did not need the accuracy and range of my normal deer rifle, a original 1861 Colt Special Musket, and am going with my antique Robert Chaplain (mfg. 1850's) SxS 13 gauge, with "London Fine Twyst" barrels instead. A trip to the range yielded the results pictured. Actually quite surprised by the accuracy of the right barrel, good group (for a smooth bore) and directly to point of aim at 50 yards. The left wasn't quite as good, and impacted about 6" left of the right barrel. However that is still "Minute of Deer" at my max distance of 25 yards. Oddly, using identical loads, 80 grains 2F Swiss with a .690 PRB, the left barrel was consistently 100 fps slower than the right. Bore diameter is only .003 difference, and I was using a thick patch, so I cannot explain the discrepancy. I will only use the left barrel at close range to finish off a wounded deer. However, I think that big lead ball, whether at 920 or 1000 feet per second, will be enough for a 10 to 20 yard shot.

I use this gun for all my shotgun applications, much preferring it to my Pedersoli SxS's. They are nice enough, but don't have the "Cool Factor" of the original. Years ago, a gunsmith, told me the barrels were "Dead", and I was going to "Blow myself up using that Damascus Twist!". Still got all my eyes and fingers after thousands of clay targets and such. I am too big a sissy to shoot cute bunnies and doves anymore.

Attachments

• 20231007_164550.jpg
    20231007_164550.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 20231007_164330.jpg
    20231007_164330.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231007_164442.jpg
    20231007_164442.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231007_164640.jpg
    20231007_164640.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
It is more shot placement. It will work.

I am modern though. There between the preforms of a rifle and Shotgun. Sabot pistol round etc have been really good.. when I bought a hawken or well black mountain magnum. that had just became popular before inlines, a muzzloader only store here the guy sold me everything but round balls to try.

I kinda don't like the tipped ammo. Had it not open but then again size hole/slug shot placement did it.

Xtp and knight bloodline for the deer. Nice hollow point.. if I had a round ball gun I'd probably have fun on the range more shooting but hunting No.

Would depend on where lol also.

Some places you have all season and maybe you get a chance..

Other states or farm Or pretty backyard. You can be like Mr only bow hunter or something.

In Michigan I was a big buck only hunter.

Please make sure both your projectiles are firmly seated on the powder charge, and when you shoot just one barrel, IF you have time. Had one ball migrate off the powder charge, glad I checked.

I also shoot a twist steel gun, a 10 gauge William Moore from about the same period. Our barrels may have come from the same place. Haven’t blown myself up yet! I’d be interested in seeing what your bores look like

Load that left barrel up with 8 or 10 00 buckshot if legal in your area. At the ranges you mentioned it will put them down right there, save the round ball in the right barrel for for those long range shots.

My only smoothbore is a 20 ga and has a rear sight. Up to, and a little beyond, the accuracy of my smoothbore & patched ball gives up little to a rifle and makes a superb deer gun. Size makes a difference and a BIG ball doesn't need a lot of speed to do what we ask of it. Use your more accurate barrel with your best load for ball and use the other bore for finishing shots.

Latest posts

Back