• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home defense black powder shotgunhome defense black powder shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious

Is not actually a convicted felon.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I see a lot of conversations about what weapon would be best for home defense, I've always thought shotguns were a little bit overkill, at close range it's going to go straight through your attacker, and then keep going.

I went out and I did a little bit testing today, at ranges that would be considered inside of the home. Target is 1/16-in steel from an old microwave.

First test was a light target load 7.5 from about 10 ft away, zero spread, punched a hole like a cannon.
Number two was a slightly more powerful dove load at about 20 ftView attachment 301974

Shot two was a heavier #6 hunting load from around 20 ft little bit of spread, but not much. Note the massive hole in the middle and a few flyers.View attachment 301975

Shot three was from about 50 ft of number 1 buck. I got two shots in the equivalent of the groin, and to rite in the chest cavity. I got about a 50% "hit rate". It's possible that the hit rate was slightly higher, but its possible missed a few given pre-existing holes.
View attachment 301976

View attachment 301977

Moral of the story, black powder shotguns are still more than effective for a home defense weapon. At ranges under 15 ft, you're not getting any spread and you might as well be shooting a slug.

Don't think that old wall hanger won't put a hole through three people coming to your house at 2:00 a.m.

Agreed but sometimes last choice can be best choice (if it goes off). Rather shoot an intruder with my 20GA dbl at inside range than my 9mm myself. I'm much more confident in the shotgun as far as smacking the perp. Added bonus (especially at night) is the gawdawfull flash and smoke.
I completely agree, there's nothing like the racking of a shotgun and the colossal thunk it makes when fired to deter you from continuing on your path.

Any muzzle loader would be my last choice for personal defense.
M/L shotgun performance is similar to modern, depending on the load - but that's about "it"-cylinder bore typically. Inside a room, neither "spread" much, at all. Shot charges do not penetrate as much as some think, even buckshot. If you miss or target doesn't react like in movies ...uh.

Two shots, then you're done unless you club 'em over the head. Bad Plan.
To say nothing about the smoke which will make identifying targets hard. When old-timey writers told of "filling the room with pistol smoke", 'twas not in jest. Bad plan. But - if it's all you can have, it's better'n nothing.

There ... made it easier for others ...

1709926366420.png

1709926449090.png

1709926480193.png

1709926510767.png

I wasn't advocating the use of a black powder shotgun for home defense, but for some people that's the only option they have, and for others it might be the most convenient thing nearby.
If I knew I was expecting some thugs I would most certainly load my BP 20 GA, HEAVY, and I would be 100% confident it would fire as expected for a day or two. would not leave loaded and use as a my official home defense weapon. I have several unmentionable around the house for that. BUT a BP shot gun blast of # 4 in the dark is gonna kill the first guy and blind and evacutate the bowels of the net two, I would have one shot left and by then the wife and dogs would be in action and I would have made it the approximate 15 feet to one of above mentioned unmentionables. The flash from a BP shot gun in the dark is insane add the smoke and the already high level of hysteria and I'm thinking I would be OK. Mad though. I'm sure the responding officers would confiscate it for evidence. What would I do for the 2-3 years it sat (uncleaned) in an evidence locker at the city? What would I hunt with? A bad thing thugs, they ruin lives and hunting seasons.

I only have a single shot (TC New Englander). So id be grabbing my pistola, a John Moses Browning design. I also keep a short barrelled pump and a Mini 14 handy. I enjoy all my BP firearms, but as Phil said, not my first choice. If someone defeated my locks and got inside, I'm doing violence on them before they can do violence to my wife or kids. If all one has is a BP firearm, Im sure they have trained with it, and take all the steps to make sure it runs when needed (hopefully only for recreational purposes).

Any muzzle loader would be my last choice for personal defense.
Agree. And that is why firearms evolved into the 'modern' things we have now. For true survival modern is the best choice. But, in a defense situation, my philosophy is whatever gun you have in your hand at the time is the best gun for the job. BTW, we have an advertiser here that sells a double barreled ml shotgun pistol that undoubtedly would stop any bad guy quick. But with messy results. o_O

Agree. And that is why firearms evolved into the 'modern' things we have now. For true survival modern is the best choice. But, in a defense situation, my philosophy is whatever gun you have in your hand at the time is the best gun for the job. BTW, we have an advertiser here that sells a double barreled ml shotgun pistol that undoubtedly would stop any bad guy quick. But with messy results. o_O
Just that here in good old New York State one would have to have pistol permit and have weapon put on permit to be legal
:doh:

Actually, true home invasions are, statistically, about the least likely form of assault we face, but one of the most feared and therefore, one of the crimes we prepare for. As with any crime, it mostly depends upon where we live, who we are, what we possess, and, perhaps, who we have angered.

Homicides? Most likely to get snuffed by someone you are related to or know. Lunatics (whether substance-fueled or bat-manure crazy) are everywhere, but, again more likely to hurt you as a target of opportunity "on the street".

The one basic fact is always ...you will not plan the event. Scenarios of "Well, I'll do this and the bad guy will do that" mostly aren't what happens. People don't expire as predictably as in movies (close-range head shot with shotguns excepted). If a muzzle loader is all you have, it's better than a kitchen knife.

Best survival tool in my experience? A barking dog to alert, multiple powerful flashlights, and a reliable modern firearm of your choosing. Backup - a working cellphone in the hands of a family member who is secured behind a sturdy locked door. I've known convicted murderers who would cut off your child's head, spit down the hole, sodomize your dog, and wait for a pizza delivery. They're exceedingly rare, but they do exist. Ask anyone who's worked in a prison or a jail.

Actually, true home invasions are, statistically, about the least likely form of assault we face, but one of the most feared and therefore, one of the crimes we prepare for. As with any crime, it mostly depends upon where we live, who we are, what we possess, and, perhaps, who we have angered.

Homicides? Most likely to get snuffed by someone you are related to or know. Lunatics (whether substance-fueled or bat-manure crazy) are everywhere, but, again more likely to hurt you as a target of opportunity "on the street".

The one basic fact is always ...you will not plan the event. Scenarios of "Well, I'll do this and the bad guy will do that" mostly aren't what happens. People don't expire as predictably as in movies (close-range head shot with shotguns excepted). If a muzzle loader is all you have, it's better than a kitchen knife.

Best survival tool in my experience? A barking dog to alert, multiple powerful flashlights, and a reliable modern firearm of your choosing. Backup - a working cellphone in the hands of a family member who is secured behind a sturdy locked door. I've known convicted murderers who would cut off your child's head, spit down the hole, sodomize your dog, and wait for a pizza delivery. They're exceedingly rare, but they do exist. Ask anyone who's worked in a prison or a jail.
these are not so rare anymore. anyone that has worked the streets of any major city, usually has one or two of these monsters in memory. and some that are worse.
Evil has grown exponentially these last 100 years. TV has exposed every vile and horrific manner to susceptible minds and has given them license. brace your selves, it WILL get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back