• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Home defense black powder shotgunhome defense black powder shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felonious

Is not actually a convicted felon.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I see a lot of conversations about what weapon would be best for home defense, I've always thought shotguns were a little bit overkill, at close range it's going to go straight through your attacker, and then keep going.

I went out and I did a little bit testing today, at ranges that would be considered inside of the home. Target is 1/16-in steel from an old microwave.

First test was a light target load 7.5 from about 10 ft away, zero spread, punched a hole like a cannon.
Number two was a slightly more powerful dove load at about 20 ft
20240308_111842.jpg

Shot two was a heavier #6 hunting load from around 20 ft little bit of spread, but not much. Note the massive hole in the middle and a few flyers.
20240308_111836.jpg

Shot three was from about 50 ft of number 1 buck. I got two shots in the equivalent of the groin, and to rite in the chest cavity. I got about a 50% "hit rate". It's possible that the hit rate was slightly higher, but its possible missed a few given pre-existing holes.
20240308_111830.jpg

20240308_111824.jpg

Moral of the story, black powder shotguns are still more than effective for a home defense weapon. At ranges under 15 ft, you're not getting any spread and you might as well be shooting a slug.

Don't think that old wall hanger won't put a hole through three people coming to your house at 2:00 a.m.

Latest posts

Back