• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on value.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would it hurt the value of an original rifle if I had Hoyt rebore and rifle the barrel to a caliber that was original to the makers calibers. Just wondering. We discussed this this morning at the coffee shop and had 2 different opinions.

I do not see it as a problem to rebore to a different caliber . I am sure the original maker made rifles in the same caliber that this one will be rebored too so it should not be an issue

There are those who hold that an historical artifact, here a gun, should be conserved/preserved as is. Like an insect in amber. That is not my take. If it can be safely used and not damaged I say why not? The very history of the gun is tied up with its use.
When I need a tool I will likely go to Joy's Antiques, where there is an amazing variety of old tools. I do not do it for price. I do it for the pleasure of it. Beats the mortal hell out of Homey Depot, Lowes, and Ace Hardware.
I look at the old wooden molding planes and think about how much trim they cut for how many homes. Lots of sharpening stones and jigs with those old tools. How many sharpening stones and how much oil do you find in the big box stores?
Ditto with firearms. Aside from personal defense/carry weapons, most modern firearms bore me. And I do not love the carry weapons like I love a flintlock rifle.

The old guns then were used and re-freshen at times thus changing the bore diameter. Or even re-bored and re-rifled so, what's the difference between then and now. I have one probably dates to the 1860 period waiting on a barrel job from Mr. Hoyt, when I get back from hunting in October. Like Solanco stated they are tools, built to be used.

I generally have no problem with a gun that is brought back to functionality by freshing the rifling or repairing broken parts. What I HATE to see is one with a Bubba "Resto" job consisting of heavy sanding, non historic finishes and a gleaming TruOil shine.

You certainly wouldn't take a Oerter rifle and fresh up the bore and shoot it. It really depends on the collector value of the gun.
I shoot guns several times a week that were made in the 1880s.
I used to shoot the hell out of a ca. 1815 sxs flint shotgun too. It's all relative to what the gun is and what it's worth.

There are those who hold that an historical artifact, here a gun, should be conserved/preserved as is. Like an insect in amber. That is not my take. If it can be safely used and not damaged I say why not? The very history of the gun is tied up with its use.
When I need a tool I will likely go to Joy's Antiques, where there is an amazing variety of old tools. I do not do it for price. I do it for the pleasure of it. Beats the mortal hell out of Homey Depot, Lowes, and Ace Hardware.
I look at the old wooden molding planes and think about how much trim they cut for how many homes. Lots of sharpening stones and jigs with those old tools. How many sharpening stones and how much oil do you find in the big box stores?
Ditto with firearms. Aside from personal defense/carry weapons, most modern firearms bore me. And I do not love the carry weapons like I love a flintlock rifle.

Would it hurt the value of an original rifle if I had Hoyt rebore and rifle the barrel to a caliber that was original to the makers calibers. Just wondering. We discussed this this morning at the coffee shop and had 2 different opinions.
Once it's been cut, it's no longer original. However... as a shooter it then becomes a 'useable semi original' and that makes it more valuable to me.
What's it's value ? $500 or $5,000. ?
If it's a valuable firearm, don't touch it. Just my humble opinion. D.R.

Back