• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on value.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are those who hold that an historical artifact, here a gun, should be conserved/preserved as is. Like an insect in amber. That is not my take. If it can be safely used and not damaged I say why not? The very history of the gun is tied up with its use.
Ditto that. My collectibles are mostly functional, and they get shot. I also have a few wall-hangers, but mainly they're up there because they don't shoot.

You certainly wouldn't take a Oerter rifle and fresh up the bore and shoot it. It really depends on the collector value of the gun.
I shoot guns several times a week that were made in the 1880s.
I used to shoot the hell out of a ca. 1815 sxs flint shotgun too. It's all relative to what the gun is and what it's worth.
Unless you stole it!

To me, it also depends on overall condition. Sometimes a small crack will sit there, un noticed for a really long time, then decide to continue it's journey - with nasty results. A couple of my originals have unique rifling which I find interesting even though they're certainly no longer very accurate. Some old wood has not gotten stronger with age ..another consideration.

In the end - those antiques are in your care temporarily, so it's your decision as to how they will live on to the next generation. I like stuff that works.

This discussion may never end because there are a zillion variables to consider. How about saying what the rifle in question is? Much easier to make a more realistic suggestion with some actual information.
It’s a .30 cal J. Henry & Son. Doesn’t really need rebored but was just wondering if it would hurt value if I had it done.

My personal opinion is yes it would hurt the value since it has a good/decent bore. If any rifling is left, it has historical significance, just for the study aspect. Modern ML rifling is much different than period work.
Since it's a rifle by a known maker in an unusual caliber......It is what it is in my opinion and what it is ain't bad.

If it was a late percussion no-name hardware store gun that was made in the zillions with a back action lock. You could paint it green and name it George and nobody would care. Being made by a known maker, I personally would leave it be.

It’s a .30 cal J. Henry & Son. Doesn’t really need rebored but was just wondering if it would hurt value if I had it done.
Since you say the bore is good, I would leave it alone. That's a desirable name in a somewhat oddball caliber. I believe you would actually hurt both the historic and monetary value of it.

Clean it up, shoot it, clean it up, shoot it!

ADKBigfoot said: so if you find a beautiful flint arrowhead do you tie it to a stick and shoot it out of you bow????"
I have actually found a few broken ones that I used for flint and steel. They throw just a good 10,000 year old sparks as a freshly knapped flint.
Ohio Rusty ><>

My personal opinion is yes it would hurt the value since it has a good/decent bore. If any rifling is left, it has historical significance, just for the study aspect. ...
That's true; therefore the owner needs to make a value judgement: does he/she want a shooter or a collectible? Sometimes you simply can't have both in the same rifle. In the best case scenario, that judgment should be made before purchase. But often it doesn't become apparent until after you own the rifle and you clean it up and find out what it is you've really got. Been there done that.

I bought a Wurrflien several years ago. It was a 45 caliber. I shot it and it shot well except that upon cleaning a very bad area in the breech was seen at cxleaning. Then I found an area in the bore that was very pitted. Also the hammer was welded rather badly together to make it work and that really showed up after shooting it an dcleaning. The stock had a slight crack in it as well. Since i wanted to shoot it i inquired with a few folks about re boring it to a fifty. I asked if it was safe and would it hurt the value. IKt was safe to rebore it and in the condition it was in the repairs would only incrfease the value to someone would wanted to shoot it as I did. So i contacted Lee Shaver and sent it off. Several months later after a gentleman out in Arizona redid the bore to 50 and Lee fixed the hammer and stock I got it back. It shoots very well indeed. I guess what I'm chiming in on by way of Alaska is it depends on your desire, use and it's condition. If this rifle had been in perfect condition it would still be a 45 cal. Instead I have a very attractive, and functional full stock John Wurrflien in 50 caliber.

Back