• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Queen Anne pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave,
Thanks! Yes was some semi felted wool baize. I do plan on adding hooks and loops on the front at some point but I haven’t been able to source or cast some authentic ones yet, eventually! I was planning on adding a handle on the top and last minute I saw some period examples of handles on the back side and added it there instead, less common I know. Thanks for the info on the shoddie etc...so the case for these would have probably have been made custom some time after the original purchase, I based mine off of the earliest examples I could find in terms of layout and fit and finish rather than the later wheel lock versions but they still appeared to be mid 18th century at the earliest.
Thanks for your insight.
-Jared

Hi Jared,
Nice case! It looks like you used a nice nappy fabric for lining. Was it woolen baize? If the case were mine, I would add hooks and loops or studs on the front and a handle on top. With respect to lined wooden cases, they did not become popular until the late 1760s and 1770s. Most turn off pistols in those cases are later box lock types rather than the earlier side lock pistols. Most earlier style pistols, such as yours, would probably have been sold in a leather holster-like bag or in a woolen bag called a "shoddie".

dave

Attachments

• CB9D2C48-6468-4010-98A7-0DCB4BB2AD34.jpeg
    CB9D2C48-6468-4010-98A7-0DCB4BB2AD34.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 57
Back