• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
If you are just using a caplocks, pyrodex works great, I have used it for years in my Kentucky with no problems and very few mis/hang fires, however if you shoot flintlocks, pyrodex sucks!!! If used in the pan, expect long delays if used in the breach you need a pinch of real bp at the base of your charge to speed upand insure ignition. Maybe others have other advice but that's mine

IanH said:
"No, not worth it when you can have the real thing for the same price"

Are you reading my post? I'm getting it for a deal where can you get lbs of BP for 20$ ea.
Jeez sorry my apologies, didn’t mean to offend!! Sounds like you are pretty sure of what to do, just do it and don’t be asking for silly opinions like mine!!

Jeez sorry my apologies, didn’t mean to offend!! Sounds like you are pretty sure of what to do, just do it and don’t be asking for silly opinions like mine!!
Lol I'm sorry came off a little hostile there. My bad. I kinda thought u 2 really had the hookup on 20$/lb black powder.

Lol I'm sorry came off a little hostile there. My bad. I kinda thought u 2 really had the hookup on 20$/lb black powder.
No worries, they call me sand paper at work for a reason, a bit abrasive!! LOL, but on a serious note, I have shot dozens of pounds of Pyrodex, lived in a place where BP was illegal and Pyro kept me shooting (close to 4,000 balls a year). But if you can come up with a little more money and by a pound of black instead do it. You can always get Pyrodex pretty much everywhere, black, no so much! I supposed that was my point. And black works on everything from matchlock to cartridges, Pyro, no so much! With black you don’t have to worry about zip lock bags, vacuums sealers, shelf life and the rest of the nonsense. Pyro has its place, but not when you can get black!! Enjoy your time outside with your gun!

I much prefer Triple 7 if I am not using the real thing. Pyrodex does require careful cleaning and follow-up. If you understand this, no problem, but early on it was suggested that Pyrodex required much less cleaning effort than black and that was patently untrue.
I would agree with the T7 over Pyro from a corrosion standpoint. However, my experience with T7 is that the shelf life is diminished after opening. I've had several cans of powder become very inconsistent after having been opened and then put away.

Last edited:
No, not worth it when you can have the real thing for the same price.
BINGO!!!!
Are you reading my post? I'm getting it for a deal where can you get lbs of BP for 20$ ea?
Seems you asked for opinions with your poll asking ‘Worth it?’ You may want to read your OP again. By chance was your mind made up and you were just looking for accolades and a participation trophy? I know folks that won’t use the stuff even if the price is free, but I wouldn’t jump on them if I were to ask for their opinion and I disagreed with it when given. You asked your question in the Smoothbore Sub Forum, a forum one would expect to find points of view from both percussion and flintlock perspectives. Ask it again in the Flintlock Sub Forum if you really want your feelings hurt.

I find Pyrodex to be just as messy as regular black powder. However, I find once it is fired, Pyrodex starts it's corrosion process much quicker than regular black powder.
For me, nothing beats Swiss BP.

I find Pyrodex to be just as messy as regular black powder. However, I find once it is fired, Pyrodex starts it's corrosion process much quicker than regular black powder.
For me, nothing beats Swiss BP.
Hard to argue with either point! Shot for a few years in a gun club next to the ocean, Pyro only, a 100 RBs every Saturday, 45 min drive to the house. By the time I got home my ROA,s looked really scary. Very long Saturdays, IPAs helped, for sure, and recheck and reclean on Wednesdays. Swiss is second to none in the US!

Seems you asked for opinions with your poll asking ‘Worth it?’ You may want to read your OP again. By chance was your mind made up and you were just looking for accolades and a participation trophy? I know folks that won’t use the stuff even if the price is free, but I wouldn’t jump on them if I were to ask for their opinion and I disagreed with it when given. You asked your question in the Smoothbore Sub Forum, a forum one would expect to find points of view from both percussion and flintlock perspectives. Ask it again in the Flintlock Sub Forum if you really want your feelings hurt.
Did you read? The very next posts they clarified and apologized for any possible misunderstanding.

The haul....$100
IMG_20240217_143425.jpg

Ps can I use Vaseline for my lubed wads??

Talking to the kid behind the counter at Academy this morning. Saw one jar of triple seven and one box of pyrodex pellets. The rumor he heard was in order for the store to keep selling it, you would have to fill out the same form as you would to buy a modern gun! Background check for pyrodex! Of course maybe he was messing with me to buy the stuff now…….

Talking to the kid behind the counter at Academy this morning. Saw one jar of triple seven and one box of pyrodex pellets. The rumor he heard was in order for the store to keep selling it, you would have to fill out the same form as you would to buy a modern gun! Background check for pyrodex! Of course maybe he was messing with me to buy the stuff now…….
My gun guy said they don't like selling it to ppl without an explosives license but I'm pretty sure ballisticproducts.com dosent care... among many other sites. 🤷‍♀️

Back